About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 12:01:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Suzhou carved bottles?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Suzhou carved bottles?  (Read 2184 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: September 21, 2016, 09:16:35 am »

All,

Just to clarify.  The three agate bottles posted by Cathy are relatively new in my opinion; i.e., post 2000 to present.  These are currently being made by the droves in China (presumably).  There are a few select dealers on ebay that are listing this type of bottle for sale 10 to 20 at a time.  They have also been showing up at secondary/minor auction houses in recent years.  Some are of very good quality both in material and workmanship, and are worth collecting in my opinion, just as you would collect a modern interior painted bottle.

Giovanni, yes there is a concern that such bottles may be electronically carved partially by machine, but I'm not going to jump to that conclusion quite yet.  If I am going to pay $60 to $200 US for the raw stone material as a mineral collector, I'm more than willing to pay the same for nicely carved bottle made from the same material.

Also, it comes down to finishing of the interior.  Is it just well hollowed with obvious drill marks or is it well hollowed with smooth contoured walls and polished.   

Charll   

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:24:01 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: