About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:34:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

New one..

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New one..  (Read 531 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: September 17, 2016, 01:58:48 pm »

Nothing special.. As a matter a fact, some may not find it attractive at all because of the poorer painting ..

But I like em a little rough sometimes, and actually do like the floral side. A bit of Zen..  Would someone care to ID that plant (fern ? )

* ip3.jpg (54.66 KB, 361x539 - viewed 47 times.)

* ip4.jpg (46.59 KB, 322x527 - viewed 47 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 02:33:46 pm »

Dear George, it is an orchid.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 03:24:13 pm »

Dear George,

I agree with Giovanni, as to the Orchid (Fern, George? Really?  Grin Roll Eyes), but think it is actually quite charming.
I can tell over the 'Net. Is it new with you, or a modern period bottle?
I could be convinced as to its having some age, though you know I can't always tell via the screen.

Steven, what's you opinion as to its age?

Best to all,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 05:59:59 pm »

Dear George,

I agree with Giovanni, as to the Orchid (Fern, George? Really?  Grin Roll Eyes), but think it is actually quite charming.
I can tell over the 'Net. Is it new with you, or a modern period bottle?
I could be convinced as to its having some age, though you know I can't always tell via the screen.

Steven, what's you opinion as to its age?

Best to all,
Joey

I am not sure yet Joey... I think the clue within this one is similar to the recent peddler bottle.. The unusual application and overall appearance is it's eventual clue towards the artist..  With this one, what stands out is the application of the paint. It's was intentional like the artists meant for it to be thick/heavy, and mixed together.  I have seen bottles with this same appearance...  And although poor, the artist did make an attempt for traditional style painting. Everything is laid proportionally correct.

Just thinking out loud
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 11:12:37 pm »

George, I like your new one.

It would be so helpful if there were some books with information on the inside painted bottles between Gan Xuanwen and Zhou Leyuan. It's a huge gap!
I have read most of this forum and it seems that everyone is in the dark about this period.

I have been studying a lot, and while I don't have the experience that others on this board have, I do feel like I have enough information to formulate opinions.

To me, everything about your peddler bottle indicates it was painted before the time of Zhou Leyuan. The age of the bottle, the yellow staining that I only see on the very old bottles in my books, the simplicity of the paintings, - to me it all points to it being in that dead zone.

It also appears that the problem with the dead zone bottles is the lack of calligraphy. At the same time, that could also be an indicator that a bottle is of that period.

On this one though it's harder to determine because (and this is just my opinion!):

1. The shape of the bottle seems more like a middle period bottle
2. I can't tell if the yellowing is from age or from tobacco stains
3. I have seen bottles dated in the 20s that used the bamboo pen to draw thick lines and color them in

I think it would be very worthwhile to have a thread dedicated to possible bottles of this time frame where everyone could post and we could compare to see if there are common traits that can be identified.

I debated about posting this - but decided to put on my bullet proof vest and hit the post button

Bombs away!

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 01:40:07 am »

I think it would be very worthwhile to have a thread dedicated to possible bottles of this time frame where everyone could post and we could compare to see if there are common traits that can be identified.

Remember this bottle of yours, followed by the comparison bottles ?  This is a known group from the time you ask..
http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3206.msg43340.html#msg43340
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 02:04:12 am »

George - All have very identifiable common traits and I think those can also be seen in your two examples
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 02:42:37 am »

George - All have very identifiable common traits and I think those can also be seen in your two examples

No, I can exclude my two from this group...
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
aidan31

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 06:45:09 am »

The plant is a cymbidium orchid.  These were treasured and cultivated by the Chinese literati and often were collected by wealthy persons.  You can find many references to Chinese orchids both in Chinese literature and western orchid collection books.

Rick
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 07:48:59 am »

I was taking a look at the paint under magnification trying to figure out why or what might explain a silver reflection to parts of the painting.

Under magnification it appears that it is a silver paint that was laid down first and then the other colors were added on top..

I have never seen a reflective silver paint used before..

* painting.jpg (317.28 KB, 889x814 - viewed 23 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: