About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:04:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Incised Calligraphy Porcelain Snuff Bottle by Zhou Hongbin. Old or modern?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Incised Calligraphy Porcelain Snuff Bottle by Zhou Hongbin. Old or modern?  (Read 1448 times)
EK

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 08:19:46 am »

Dear Richard,

Thanks for clarifying that the date refers to the poem, not the year of the inscription. I can now understand why the ICSBS felt it was premature to publish the bottle in 1986. After 30 years, I finally know what the inscription is about. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Edmund
Report Spam   Logged

Edmund
EK

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 08:24:39 am »

I did not realise that you were the Edmund K. who has been a Singapore member of the ICSBS since 1986, although I see you've not been a member since 2004.

Dear Joey,

Oh blind me! I didn’t know my membership was valid up to 2004.  I thought it was terminated when I ended my subscription to the Journal in 1990.

Edmund
Report Spam   Logged

Edmund
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 08:29:25 am »

Dear Samson,

The only ones in Israel playing it, are Jewish women from USA & Canada, who brought their Mahjong sets with them in the 1960s & 1970s; but very many, if not most, middle class Jewish women in the 1950s and 1960s in the USA & Canada played it devotedly. My mom and aunts used to play it every Friday night, after Sabbath Prayers and Sabbath dinner!

********************************************************************
"Several hit songs were recorded during the Mahjong fad, most notably "Since Ma Is Playing Mah Jong" by Eddie Cantor (who was Jewish).

Many variants of Mahjong developed during this period. By the 1930s, many revisions of the rules developed that were substantially different from Babcock's classical version (including some that were considered fundamentals in other variants, such as the notion of a standard hand). The most common form, which eventually became "American Mahjong", was most popular among Jewish women. Standardization came with the formation of the National Mah Jongg League (NMJL) in 1937, along with the first American Mahjong rulebook, Maajh: The American Version of the Ancient Chinese Game, written by NMJL's first president and co-founder, Viola L. Cecil.

Many consider the modern American version a Jewish remake, as many American Mahjong players are of Jewish descent. The NMJL was founded by Jewish players and is considered a Jewish organization. In 1986, the National Mah Jongg League conducted their first Mah Jongg Cruise Tournament, in conjunction with Mah Jongg Madness. In 2010, this large scale seagoing event hosted its 25th Silver Anniversary Cruise, with players from all over the States and Canada participating." I found this via Google.

**********************************************************************

It was immigrants from USA & Canada who brought Mahjong to Israel, and so far, it is only found among those women who don't have to take jobs in Israel.
Best,
Joey

My late mom of blessed memory, also could read the mahjong tiles! I've never figured out how this Chinese gambling game became a serious interest of middle class Jewish ladies in North America in the 1950s and 1960s!
But a bunch of them even brought it to Israel! My mom, after her arrival in Jerusalem in 1973, quickly found a Mahjong 'league' here, and played at least once or twice a week.  Grin

Dear Joey,

I didn't know that Mahjong is so popular out of the Chinese community that even the ladies in Israel are so fond of it! I only heard years ago that some schools in America introduced it to their students as an extra-curriculum activity to train their thinking... Well, as a Chinese, I'm glad to know all that, as much as I'm glad that westerners are fond of our arts.

Some Chinese say that Mahjong is one of the greatest Chinese inventions of all time and that it is an essential cultural heritage of China... Smiley

Best,
Samson
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:52:54 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 08:33:45 am »

Dear Edmund,

I don't have membership directories in Israel from 1987 to 2003. When you stopped paying dues (presumably in 1990, according to what you wrote), you stopped being a member. Did you attend the ICSBS Singapore convention in 2002? That would have been worth rejoining for. 
      Best,
Joey

I did not realise that you were the Edmund K. who has been a Singapore member of the ICSBS since 1986, although I see you've not been a member since 2004.

Dear Joey,

Oh blind me! I didn’t know my membership was valid up to 2004.  I thought it was terminated when I ended my subscription to the Journal in 1990.

Edmund
Report Spam   Logged

EK

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 08:55:35 am »

Dear Joey,

I didn't attend the convention in Singapore as I was totally out of the hobby in 2002.

Cheers,
Edmund
Report Spam   Logged

Edmund
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 02:53:47 pm »

Dear Edmund,

Well, welcome back!  Grin
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

I didn't attend the convention in Singapore as I was totally out of the hobby in 2002.

Cheers,
Edmund
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:59:50 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 08:28:01 pm »

Dear Richard,

Thanks for clarifying that the date refers to the poem, not the year of the inscription. I can now understand why the ICSBS felt it was premature to publish the bottle in 1986. After 30 years, I finally know what the inscription is about. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Edmund

Dear Edmund,

I won't have that kind of patience Grin 30years...

Dear Richard,

Well done!!  Wink

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 10:14:29 pm »

I don't have membership directories in Israel from 1987 to 2003. 

Dear Joey,

Have you kept all your old directories? I throw out the old one as soon as the new one arrives. Should I have been holding onto them for posterity?   Huh

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 08:27:58 am »

Dear Tom,

You all think I have a phenomenal memory, and I do have a very good memory. But if I have membership directories, etc, it is another information resource. Not to mention, I can look up a member from 30 years ago, send them a message or call, and ask if they are still collecting, and possibly find treasures, if they are not still interested.
Best,
Joey

I don't have membership directories in Israel from 1987 to 2003. 

Dear Joey,

Have you kept all your old directories? I throw out the old one as soon as the new one arrives. Should I have been holding onto them for posterity?   Huh

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 11:33:35 pm »

Dear Joey,

I'm starting to wish I had kept my old membership directories.
Then everyone might think I had a phenomenal memory too....   Grin

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 03:39:17 am »

Dear Tom,

That's the problem of Asperger's Syndrome. We are sort of 'hardwired' to tell the truth. On the other hand,
AS people tend to have much higher than average IQs, and seem to be able to inspire very intense loyalty, and, even more important, feel the Immediate and Constant Presence of the ALMIGHTY, so those are real blessings.
We don't BELIEVE in G-D; we KNOW that G-D Exists.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: