About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 07:38:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Another Red Dragon

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Red Dragon  (Read 1244 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« on: September 16, 2016, 10:02:07 am »

Dear Cathy,

I get your first mistake - thinking that anything from Christie's "should be above reproach". Grin
Depends on the appraiser, depends on the seller, depends on how 'honest' they are feeling that day...
If your mom sells you a bottle, and she is educated about SBs, I would vote you trust her. Although she may just know about the bottle from a bit earlier.  Any auction house, nope.
There is a comment in the Talmud: "Respect BUT Suspect".
Words to live by with auction houses, UNLESS you have personal friends working there, whom you can trust one on one.
Best,
Joey

Thanks George - that gives me something to go on!

The first one pictured in the comparisons was sold at Christie's and so should be above reproach.

On mine, I have tracked down the company (still in business) that made it and so there is no question that it is new, but the company does hand paint them, so at least there's that.

But in my explorations of red dragons, I filled a folder with all the legitimate red dragon pieces of porcelain I could find. Then I did my comparison thing, finding all the identifiers in the paintings.

So when I came across that jar on ebay I compared it to my markers and thought the painting at least looked right.

But I did not take the shape of the piece into consideration, and also it didn't have a mark, and so I didn't pay enough attention to the base either I think.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:09:47 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: