About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:24:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

The Au Hang Collections of Chinese Snuff Bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Au Hang Collections of Chinese Snuff Bottles  (Read 1201 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: September 15, 2016, 05:02:39 am »

Just received this one as well..

Large book at 11 1/" x 9", 265 pages, and over 330 illustrated bottles of every medium, with the exception of just a very few inside painted.

Although most bottles are not examples we can't find in most any other book within our libraries, still a nice book..

* ahhang.jpg (177.66 KB, 638x678 - viewed 34 times.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:15:27 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:40:49 am »

Dear George,

Au Hang was a very nice man, a real gentleman. He moved with most of his family from Hong Kong to the Toronto area,
a few years before HK was 'returned' to the PRC (New Territories were validly returned; Hong Kong Island and the Kowloon Peninsula were ceded in Perpetuity to the English Crown, and should have stayed 'English').

His son, Albert Au and Albert's wife Esther, are good friends  still living in Toronto and loyal members of the ICSBS.
I forgot to mention that all are or were (in the case of Elder Au, of blessed memory) devout Christians, and at least partially, moved to ensure their rights to believe and worship as they chose.

Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:15:35 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 02:35:37 pm »

Thank you for that Joey ..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:15:52 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 02:45:21 pm »

Dear George,

My pleasure, really. Being able to share my memories of other collectors with you all helps me relive those memories, as well.
Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:15:43 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 11:23:50 pm »

Dear George,
      My pleasure, really. Being able to share my memories of other collectors with you all helps me relive those memories, as well.
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

I do hope you are continuing to set aside these reminiscences for "that book"....   Wink

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 10:03:57 am »

Dear Tom,

Is the Pope an Argentinian of Italian descent?! [Somehow doesn't have the same ring as, "Is the Pope Polish?"
I miss J-P II]
Best,
Joey

Dear George,
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

I do hope you are continuing to set aside these reminiscences for "that book"....   Wink

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 11:15:28 pm »

Dear Joey,

Sorry, but I don't see the connection........unless the Pope was a snuff bottle collector.    Huh

Confused,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 02:42:57 am »

Dear Tom,

After Karol Jozef Wojtyla was elected and took the name John Paul II, the phrase, "Is the Pope Polish?" became a way of saying, "of Course!"   Grin Roll Eyes
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Dear Joey,

Sorry, but I don't see the connection........unless the Pope was a snuff bottle collector.    Huh

Confused,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 03:27:56 am »

Dear Joey, do you know what Argentinians say about their origin? Thay say that they descend from the ship. Grin
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 04:32:44 am »

Dear Giovanni,

Jews from Eastern Europe who emigrated to the USA in the late 19th C. were described as "just off the boat", by the German Jews who'd preceded them to 'Der Goldene Medina' (Yiddish for "The Golden Country", USA) 30 years earlier.
The German Jews were proud of their lineage, and mocking the Polish and other Jews, who'd been the 'poor trash' of the Sefardic Jews expelled from Spain in 1492 and from Portugal in 1496 due to Iberian Catholic persecution. The middle and upper class Jews from Iberia went to the Ottoman Empire and to Italy...

Interesting that the Argentines describe themselves that way.
By the way, have you heard of the "Piacenza Pilgrim"  (Antoninus, but not THE St. Antoninus of Piacenza) from the late 6th C.?  He toured the Land of Israel ca. 570, and was the last Christian to document the Holy Land before the Moslem Conquest of 635/637 CE.

Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Dear Joey, do you know what Argentinians say about their origin? Thay say that they descend from the ship. Grin
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 06:27:22 pm »

Hong Kong Island and the Kowloon Peninsula were ceded in Perpetuity to the English Crown, and should have stayed 'English'

Joey

Be careful what you say about the Hong Kong Agreement - the ghost of Margaret Thatcher is watching over you.

When Deng Xiaoping pointed out to her that the 5% of Hong Kong that would remain British had no supply of electricity or water and most people who staffed the Banks and other Financial Centres lived outside the perpituity area, even she eventually had to give in - something she rarely did.

Actually, "One Country Two Systems" was quite a generous solution from Deng Xiaoping, given the cards he held. I doubt the current Chinese leadership would be so generous, especially given recent events.

Geoff 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:59:34 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 09:43:15 pm »

When Deng Xiaoping pointed out to her that the 5% of Hong Kong that would remain British had no supply of electricity or water and most people who staffed the Banks and other Financial Centres lived outside the perpituity area, even she eventually had to give in - something she rarely did.

Well noted Geoff,

But you omitted to mention that Deng (or Teng, as his name was spelled at the time) swore and spat on the floor when she originally announced her intention to hold onto "the Island".

Tom
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:33:56 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 05:49:20 am »

Dear Geoff,

Not a problem - there are no ghosts in the Land of Israel; says so in the Jerusalem Talmud! Wink Roll Eyes

I think the offer WAS generous, but still stupid.
At the time, Hong Kong was the conduit for over 60% of the PRC's foreign currency. There was no guarantee that a lot of it would be rerouted through Shanghai. The PRC could have lost A LOT of foreign currency they still were dependent on, at that time. And the PRC honouring international agreements made by their 'predecessors' of the Qing Dynasty would have been a reassuring sign of their desire to NOT be like the Soviet Union, who'd eagerly broken international agreements made by themselves as well as their Tzarist Russian predecessors, and caused themselves a lot of unneeded problems at a time when they least needed them.

As well, if the PRC EVER wants to get control over Taiwan and the treasures of the Ming & Qing Imperial Collections, 90% of which are presently at the National Palace Museum, they HAVE to 'play nice' with the people in Hong Kong.

Besides, I'd have nothing to fear from the ghost of Baroness Thatcher of blessed memory. What a great lady. I was totally disgusted by the lowlife trash in the UK who mocked her on her death. She was one of the greatest leaders the UK and the Free World ever had.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 05:58:39 am »

Respect to the legendary Iron Lady...
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 01:47:02 pm »

Dear Joey,
I heard something about that pilgrim in the past, but didn't remember. I had to look at Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoninus_of_Piacenza_(pilgrim)
Thank you for recalling.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 05:00:00 pm »

OK Joey - at least we agree on Margaret Thatcher.

We could do with a few more politicians with her wisdom and resolve.

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 07:25:25 pm »

Dear Geoff,

Yes, I'm glad we agree on her integrity, wisdom and resolve; but I consider her a stateswoman more than a politician, though i guess on reflection, she was also the consummate politician...
You are definitely correct that we could do with more politicians with her virtues.
There is a belief that we get the people we deserve. I hope and pray we deserve better than we presently have.
Best,
Joey

OK Joey - at least we agree on Margaret Thatcher.

We could do with a few more politicians with her wisdom and resolve.

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: