About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:46:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Citrine glass bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Citrine glass bottle  (Read 750 times)
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« on: September 12, 2016, 07:13:08 am »

Dear all,

I recently came across this interesting citrine glass bottle. I especially like its carving. Any comment on its age?

Best,
Samson

* image.jpeg (144.25 KB, 800x1615 - viewed 74 times.)

* image.jpeg (144.25 KB, 800x1615 - viewed 43 times.)

* image.jpeg (50.85 KB, 800x503 - viewed 35 times.)

* image.jpeg (53.07 KB, 800x577 - viewed 23 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 07:30:46 am »

Nice bottle, and congratulations Samson !

The bottle which looks more like smoky quartz than citrine to me, is likely Early to Late 19th century..  The etching likely added during Mao Zedong period ..
http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3033.msg40881.html#msg40881
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 08:02:54 am »

Haha, George, I appreciate your congratulations but I didn't get this one...  Cheesy But it just looks special to me!
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 08:09:11 am »

Oops.. I just realised that I've posted two pics that are the same.. Here is a pic showing the other side of the bottle...

* image.jpg (154.72 KB, 800x1557 - viewed 43 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 10:09:41 am »

Hi Samson,

Nice bottle, That looks like a etched bottle instead of craved bottle to me tho.

I have seen a couple of this etched bottle before, always  think the etching is younger than the bottle, in other words, the etching was done later. just my 2 cents.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 10:31:53 am »

Never really thought of that Steven! Well that could be the case then... But even so I think the craftsman had done a great job etching it! In fact that's what draws me! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 12:38:11 pm »

Samson,

This is one of those bottles were the auction house could have lead a would be buyer astray with a incorrect description of the bottle.  I too looked at this bottle; my presumption was that it is actually a smoky quartz bottle (old bottle) that was later machined etched.  So I agree with Steven on the etching part.  I do not understand why anyone would do such an extensive etch design on glass!!!!  A carved design yes, but this etching appears to be on a much harder surface than glass. 

Personally, unless the etching can stand out by viewing from across the room, I would have appreciated this bottle more in its plain unetched condition. 

Charll 
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 07:20:26 pm »

That's interesting Charll! That makes sense, how could they etch on glass? It'd have been too fragile to work on. The glass would have shattered before anything could be etched on.. So I am pretty sure there is a mispresentation by the seller. But it is nevertheless appealing. I don't know what standard it is compared to other etched bottles. This is the only one I've seen so far...
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 12:33:46 am »

Hi Samson,

I agree with Charll - the bottle is far more attractive to me without the etching!!!  You see this kind of later etching done to older plain bottles. A real pity in my opinion. But since you were drawn by the etching.... that's what makes a horse race.  Wink

However, I think you are incorrect about not being able to etch on glass. Zhou Hongbin (周鸿宾), also known as Zhou Honglai, used to do micro calligraphy on one side of a glass bottle, and etch a "figures in landscape" scene on the other. He was active between 1900 and 1920. Of course, he used traditional hand tools, not modern high-power drills.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 12:48:59 am »

That bottle looks like smoke quartz to me  as well if its  its not difficult to repolish it back to a plain bottle . Grin
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 01:32:26 am »

Always one to swim against the tide, I have to disagree with everyone else and say that as far as etchings go, that one is quite lovely. If the bottle were mine, I wouldn't touch it!

Wink
Cathy
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 04:50:44 am »

This type of etching on dark smoky quartz can be enhanced by filling with gold paste. As with black grisaille on white jade and glass bottles, it can be removed with a toothbrush if you don't like the effect.

Tom

[PS: Don't try this with the toothbrush you are currently using for your teeth....  Wink ]
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 05:13:44 am »

Yeah I have to agree the etching doesn't enhance the bottle for me. Prefer the simplicity without. What kind of price did this bottle achieve in auction? I assume it's worth more without the etching?
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 06:29:02 am »

This type of etching on dark smoky quartz can be enhanced by filling with gold paste. As with black grisaille on white jade and glass bottles, it can be removed with a toothbrush if you don't like the effect.

Tom

[PS: Don't try this with the toothbrush you are currently using for your teeth....  Wink ]

That would make it look stunning!
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 01:22:04 pm »

Yes Cathy, but your 'swimming against the tide' based on ignorance, is equivalent to a tuna swimming in the opposite direction to the rest of the school, not realising that the school  is fleeing from a hungry shark!  Grin Roll Eyes
Joey

Always one to swim against the tide, I have to disagree with everyone else and say that as far as etchings go, that one is quite lovely. If the bottle were mine, I wouldn't touch it!

Wink
Cathy
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:36:11 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Jungle Jas

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 05:29:04 pm »

I'm with Cathy on this one, I like the later embellishment. However I don't think the bottle has been etched but engraved.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: