About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 06:21:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Liu Qiao

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Liu Qiao  (Read 1956 times)
cshapiro

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 01:25:05 pm »

Oh Steven! I didn't realize you were Chinese! Then you have a most definite advantage!

I'm a little surprised there's not some opposition to the theory that Liu Qiao painted the second signature YST's.
Would love to hear opposing viewpoints.
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 03:14:39 pm »

Dear Cathy,
I understand now. Thank you very much.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 04:33:23 pm »

Oh Steven! I didn't realize you were Chinese! Then you have a most definite advantage!

I'm a little surprised there's not some opposition to the theory that Liu Qiao painted the second signature YST's.

Very common for Middle Period artist to have signed another artists name.. It was done as a way to show respect for that artist or studio..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 06:29:52 pm »

Glad to hear it Giovanni!

Thanks George!

I have negotiated a sale with the owner of the "key" bottle and so it will soon be my first Liu Qiao bottle, although that's not quite true is it? Haha! I think the one I bought in Boston was my "first" Liu Qiao bottle.
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
cshapiro

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 12:44:27 pm »

Noticed another Liu Qiao signed warrior scene today - up for grabs! I think it is his signature - very faded.

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/46872356_antique-chinese-reverse-painted-snuff-bottle-w-warrior

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 07:03:03 pm »

Noticed another Liu Qiao signed warrior scene today - up for grabs! I think it is his signature - very faded.

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/46872356_antique-chinese-reverse-painted-snuff-bottle-w-warrior

Yes, I saw that one... I won't place a value on it until after the auction.. But will share with you that the opening bid is extremely high. Also take note that these larger bottles are not so desirable..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 07:27:49 pm »

Yes, I thought it was awfully high too George, but since I bought that other bottle signed Liu Qiao I hope it gets the asking price! 

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/204628-a-key-liu-qiao-snuff-bottle?in=user
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 07:51:36 pm »

but since I bought that other bottle signed Liu Qiao I hope it gets the asking price! 

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/204628-a-key-liu-qiao-snuff-bottle?in=user

It won't...  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 04:57:38 am »

Or to get more money than the artist could receive for his own work...  Roll Eyes Grin
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Very common for Middle Period artist to have signed another artists name.. It was done as a way to show respect for that artist or studio..
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 02:27:43 pm »

Thought I might bring Cathy's topic back up with a few Liu Qiao bottles..

And one other that I think is also Liu Qiao

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2021, 08:34:22 am »

Dear George,

I feel like Liu Qiao is significant for us to study as an artist because he was so prolific.
I am not sure if I posted the front and back of what I call my "key" bottle but here will post it. On one side it shows the familiar "Warrior" bottles we see so much of, and on the other side it is signed and has Liu Qiao's signature ladies under a tree. He also seems to have always included in his work a very bright signature seafoam green color that you can see on the ladies clothing in your last bottle.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:44:12 am by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
albert

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2021, 01:54:39 am »

All these bottles are very interesting to me. thanks for sharing Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: