About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:29:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Does Chinese Civilization Come From Ancient Egypt?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Chinese Civilization Come From Ancient Egypt?  (Read 1252 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: September 05, 2016, 02:49:04 am »

Not snuff bottle related, but sure interesting..

https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/09/02/did-chinese-civilization-come-from-ancient-egypt-archeological-debate-at-heart-of-china-national-identity/
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:46:39 am »

Absolutely intriguing.....!
I'm always fascinated by theories which turn accepted history on its head........Thor Heyerdahl, Stephen Oppenheimer, Holger Kersten, Graham Hancock, Gavin Menzies, etc.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 06:05:04 am »

Dear George,

I first checked it wasn't 1.April, and then started reading the article.
Amazing!
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:45:44 am »

Dear George,
when I was clicking on the link, I was thinking myself “my Brazilian brother in law will surely like to read the article”. Now, you have to know that my Brazilian brother in law believe on EVERYTHING illogic, like that the Egyptians did come from Orion, or that 30 km deep below the ground there is a town with an extraterrestrial civilization, and other amenities like this. But the fact is that my brother in law is not a rare exception, there are a lot of people thinking like him in Brazil. I have always been impressed by the enormous quantity of books related to paranormal phenomenon one can find in Brazilian’s book stores. Really impressive.   
Then, when the page of the link did come up, I did read the name of the Author, Ricardo Lewis, and then I did say: “bingo!”. Ricardo is one of the more common names in Brazil. Then I told to myself that almost surely he is Brazilian and hence, no surprise in hearing theories like that. In fact, at the end of the page it is written that he has a blog called “osinobrasileiro”.
Said that, you may think that I am biased, and you may be correct. Well, yes, in this case I am, because I am really tired to hear too many phantasy stories and hypothesis from the Brazilians.
Like in this case, it seems that all starts from an inscription that talks about nine rivers and the Nile’s delta has nine branches. Sorry, ridiculous. How many branches had the delta 3000 years BC? Nine? Or two?, or twelve? Does he knows?
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 11:59:35 am »

Interesting article! Thanks for sharing.

I agree that the description of the river is not hugely compelling to me.

But I have always thought that the hieroglyphs of ancient Egypt and ancient China bear a resemblance, and so what would be more compelling to me would be a study on the similarities of the hieroglyphs.
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 12:32:58 pm »

so what would be more compelling to me would be a study on the similarities of the hieroglyphs.

An even more compelling argument can be made with DNA testing and gene markers!!!!!

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

cshapiro

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 12:40:56 pm »

Absolutely Charll! Real proof! Has this been done?
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 01:45:15 pm »

I agree that the description of the river is not hugely compelling to me.

But I have always thought that the hieroglyphs of ancient Egypt and ancient China bear a resemblance, and so what would be more compelling to me would be a study on the similarities of the hieroglyphs.

This is what I found interesting as well...

Joey.. Your brother in law's library is not unlike mine !  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 01:47:10 pm »

That is a too much simple solution, dear Charll.  Grin Grin How will survive all the charlatans without the possibilities of selling their tall tales?  
Kind regards
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 01:54:45 pm »

Dear George, I think that you were addressing to me and not to Joey. It is not clear to me what you meant, becasue of the "not" followed by "unlike". Did you mean that you too have a lot of such books in your library or that you have not?
What I said is true, in Brazil almost 50 per cent of the books in book stores are related to supernatural, extraterrestrian, and similar things. A lot of very succesfull Authors which I completely ignored the names. It is a sort of National mania. In fact, there are also hundreds of religions. Without mentioning Pharmacies. There are of any kind, including those where you just bring a piece of paper with only the name of the ill written on it, without mentioning the disease, and they give you the medicines. True!!
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 04:04:28 pm »

Guys,

What I found amazing in the article was that a Chinese metallurgist found similarities between early Chinese bronze material and Egyptian bronze material. But I would need to see that serious researchers had proved this; not that a Brazilian cuckoo had quoted a POSSIBLY serious Chinse scholar...  Roll Eyes

I'm with Giovanni on this.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 07:21:36 pm »

Dear George, I think that you were addressing to me and not to Joey. It is not clear to me what you meant, becasue of the "not" followed by "unlike". Did you mean that you too have a lot of such books in your library or that you have not?
What I said is true, in Brazil almost 50 per cent of the books in book stores are related to supernatural, extraterrestrian, and similar things. A lot of very succesfull Authors which I completely ignored the names. It is a sort of National mania. In fact, there are also hundreds of religions. Without mentioning Pharmacies. There are of any kind, including those where you just bring a piece of paper with only the name of the ill written on it, without mentioning the disease, and they give you the medicines. True!!
Giovanni

Ah... Sorry about that.. Yes indeed I do have many metaphysical books..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 09:54:10 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

What you say about Brazil is most interesting. I find it strange that such a high percentage of the population is obsessed with books on supernatural, extraterrestrial and similar things, when I thought most of the people were strongly religious. You cannot be religious AND believe in all these other things. They don't mix! 

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 10:13:53 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

What you say about Brazil is most interesting. I find it strange that such a high percentage of the population is obsessed with books on supernatural, extraterrestrial and similar things, when I thought most of the people were strongly religious. You cannot be religious AND believe in all these other things. They don't mix! 

Tom

For me it is just about keeping an open mind and being open to not only to Western perspectives, but to include all possibilities of the metaphysical from all cultures, ancient and modern..

There is something to be said for a book simply being a good book. I do not ever allow myself to become obsessed with anything from the metaphysical, but I am aware of the existence of spiritual life forms and energies surrounding us that most can not see.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 04:25:03 pm »

Dear Tom,
but it fits in Brazil. There is a mix among religions too. Many, really many Catholics attends sessions of Umbanda too, a popular religion whose origin is African but mixed with Catholics figures like Saint George.
That of the similarity of bronze composition is void of value. Bronze appeared suddenly in China during Shang, and it was at a level unrivalled by any other culture. Incredibly superior to Egyptians’ technology.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 10:29:23 pm »

Bronze appeared suddenly in China during Shang, and it was at a level unrivalled by any other culture. Incredibly superior to Egyptians’ technology.

Dear Giovanni,

That sounds suspiciously like an "outside source" introduced the technology!  Wink

Maybe you are right about the Brazilians - they seem to be good at mixing together cultural beliefs.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 10:20:47 am »

Maybe Erich von Daniken is right, and 'Aliens'  gave metallurgy to the Chinese!! Grin Roll Eyes
Personally, I've always thought that Dennis Rodman was an 'alien', and was waiting for him to be 'beamed up' in the
middle of a game!  Roll Eyes Cheesy
Best,
Joey

Bronze appeared suddenly in China during Shang, and it was at a level unrivalled by any other culture. Incredibly superior to Egyptians’ technology.

Dear Giovanni,

That sounds suspiciously like an "outside source" introduced the technology!  Wink

Maybe you are right about the Brazilians - they seem to be good at mixing together cultural beliefs.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: