About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 10:51:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

7 Porcelain Bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 7 Porcelain Bottles  (Read 836 times)
bokaba

« on: September 04, 2016, 12:52:52 pm »

Dear Members,

Here are 7 porcelain bottles someone is offering to me. Is there anything of interest here or just late 20th Century junk?

Thank you,

Brian

* unnamed.jpg (74.3 KB, 876x657 - viewed 79 times.)

* unnamed3.jpg (121.6 KB, 657x493 - viewed 62 times.)

* unnamed2.jpg (71.95 KB, 876x657 - viewed 51 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Brian

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 02:33:11 pm »

Brian,

Cheap 20th and 21st century junk.  Your eye and intuition told you this. 

The two questions I often ask myself upon first looking at a piece is: 1) is it a piece of art?, and 2) if not art, is it a functional piece as a snuff bottle with signs of use and wear?.  There are many functional pieces out there that have see a lot of love, but are not really art.  Early imperial pieces are both art and functional. 

The next grade down are collectible type pieces.  Examples are 1970's Shangdong school bottles, much of the contemporary IPBs presently being sold, Peach River Studio bottles, modern gourd bottles, 1950's to present cloisonné bottles, stone and mineral "cabinet bottles", etc.

The next grade down from "collectable" are "Tourist" type bottles.  Inexpensive souvenirs bottles that remind you of that trip you took.

The next grade down from "Tourist" is just cheap crap, and your asking yourself why would anybody even make this stuff!!!!!!

The seven bottles you've posted fall in these last two categories. 

Charll

« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:06:08 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

cshapiro

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 10:23:01 pm »

It is ironic that you posted that first bottle, because i have one like it.
One thing I am trying to do is find the original and then compare it to the example.

The first photo posted is a picture from a bottle at the Palace Museum, the second one is my very good fake.

You can see from these that your first example is no where near the quality of the original.

* palacemuseumexample.jpg (85.97 KB, 704x2332 - viewed 50 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 10:41:22 pm »

Actually, the enamel work and bottle are light years apart...
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 11:00:23 pm »

Yes, the level of deception is extraordinary! In my studies I am finding that among the popular bottles, there are sometimes many different series of fakes, some better quality than the others, and many of them so good you would swear they were the original.

I will probably never see an original of this particular bottle - but if one ever comes up, I now know what to look for. Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
bokaba

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 11:53:36 pm »

Thank you. I perhaps will buy the four in the fist picture if I can get them very cheaply. I give them out as gifts occasionally.
Report Spam   Logged

Brian
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 06:24:20 am »

Dear Brian,

First, great background!
Second, the last three are crap, but the first 4, while modern, are very nice.
They are copies of 18th and 19th C. bottles. I had an original of the first from the left.
When I bought it,  Clare Chu (from whom I bought it) and I, said Republic (ca.1915-1940), from Liulichang Rd. in Beijing, where there were fine small craftsmen till 1949.
Then Clare discovered it was late 18th C. Imperial, and it sold for a LOT MORE than I paid for it.
If you can get them for a reasonable amount, say US$100 each for the 4 (zero for the last 3), so US$400 for the 7, that's a great buy. If you are interested in buying modern wares.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 01:50:06 pm »

To keep you from spending money on these, I need to be on the other side of the fence on these than Joey..  I would not spend a nickel on any of the seven...
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 03:55:09 pm »

Dear Cathy,

If you go to Taipei to the National Palace Museum, you can see an original example like your modern copy and like the one Brian is considering. 
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 03:56:55 pm »

Dear George,

I wrote IF Brian was interested in collecting modern examples. The work is not bad. As long as the buyer
understands that the bottles are modern reproductions, and not original late 18th/19th C. examples.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 07:27:02 pm »

Ok, I understand...  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal