About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 09:09:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Amber-colored glass?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amber-colored glass?  (Read 357 times)
snuffmke
Private Boards

« on: January 05, 2020, 02:04:27 pm »

This bottle confuses me. My grandfather's index card says its "amber peking glass" and may very well be, but there are things about it that cast doubt for me.

1. When held up to the light, there appear to be inclusions. That's not anything you'd see in glass, right?
2. The surface doesn't seem very like glass to me (but what do I know). Some pitting, nicks, and such. Just doesn't seem right.
3. As per Joey's "rub it on your cheek" trick. It's definitely much colder than ambient room temperature.

Regardless, I don't think it's a great bottle at all; masks are only so-so. But I'd at least like to know what the material is definitively. What does everyone think?

Forgive the mediocre photography.

Brian

* IMG_9631.JPG (75.3 KB, 700x700 - viewed 25 times.)

* IMG_9633.JPG (69.7 KB, 700x700 - viewed 33 times.)

* IMG_9629.JPG (40.34 KB, 483x700 - viewed 28 times.)

* IMG_9635.JPG (115.5 KB, 700x700 - viewed 27 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Brian – A third generation collector in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 09:57:37 pm »

Hi there Brian.  Was hoping someone would comment on this for you. My computer is down until tomorrow and this typing on a phone is for the birds.

Will have a better look on a monitor tomorrow, and be able to type again 😆
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 11:37:32 am »

Dear Brian,

1.  Yes, glass can have inclusions.
  2. Amber is an organic material and would be warmer than glass, not colder.
  3. Yup, a crappy example - I'd date to 1860-1900 and, while over 120 years old, a really bad example.
  4. My feeling is it is definitely Amber glass, though  on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the top; this is a 5, barely.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 11:40:29 am »

Dear Brian,

1.  Yes, glass can have inclusions.
  2. Amber is an organic material and would be warmer than glass, not colder.
  3. Yup, a crappy example - I'd date to 1860-1900 and, while over 120 years old, a really bad example.
  4. My feeling is it is definitely Amber glass, though  on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the top; this is a 5, barely.
Best,
Joey
Joey,

Good to know. Thanks. Did the cheek test because I thought it might be a stone of some sort, not amber. It's way too heavy to be amber. Ya, definitely not a great example. It was one of my grandpa's bottles that was stuck in a drawer and not on display.

brian
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 02:32:37 pm »

Dear Brian,
to determine if it is glass or stone you have simply to look at the base, if it has the typical swirls of glass or not.
I know, most here will say that this is not a decisive method because it is not valid in case of bottles carved out from solid glass, but I have yet to see one. I have only one but I am not yet sure if it is glass or rock.
And, anyway, I do not think that a bottle of this grade would be carved out from a solid block of glass.
Then always pay attention to the base, that is a valid suggestion for every kind of bottles.
About the check test, I think that I have already said elsewhere here that it is a test with big limitations.
Saying that the stone is colder than room temperature makes no sense, it is not true. The Physics always works, never takes a relax 😊.
Kind regards
Giovanni
PS: Are you sure that what you see as inclusion is not just dirty inside the bottle?
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 05:08:29 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

Did you mean 'check' ['verificare'] or 'cheek'[la gota] test?
I am sure you have a very serious way to test whether mineral or glass, etc.
But for 50 years, the 'cheek test' has stood me in good stead.
I don't intend to jettison it...
Best,
joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 07:58:53 pm »

to determine if it is glass or stone you have simply to look at the base, if it has the typical swirls of glass or not.

PS: Are you sure that what you see as inclusion is not just dirty inside the bottle?

I don't see any signs of swirling, but it is all a solid color and a swirling texture would infer a visible mixture of two different colors. Don't think it's dirt either, but maybe it would be easier with a light on the inside. Hey, does anyone know where to get one of those snuff bottle flashlights?
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 11:32:46 pm »

Hi Brian,

Weighing up all the clues in this thread, I'd be surprised if the bottle was anything other than amber- coloued glass. Which is pretty close to your grandfather's description.

Sometimes it pays to not question one's elders!  Wink

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: