About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:13:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Was Thinking about buying....

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Thinking about buying....  (Read 1246 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: September 03, 2016, 02:45:56 pm »

Mathew,

In my opinion the best bottle among the three is the thin walled ruby red glass piece.   This bottle has a glow about it.  One explanation for the glowing red color is provided by Raymond Li in his 1981 book on Snuff Bottle Terminology, Part I, Glass-Agate-Quartz.  Collectors in the past termed this color as “golden-red” glass.  Many collectors and dealers considered this translucent golden red glass to be a superior color, for they believed there was a certain ingredient or amount of pure gold added to the glass mixture.  When added to red glass it made plain red glass look more attractive.  This may be one of those types of glass bottles.  These thinned wall class bottles of superior of color with the accompanying thin wall glass throats and wide mouths are considered the finest in this plain glass category.

Bottles of this style that have a more rounded (i.e., more circular) body were considered to be made in the 18th century.  Given the shape of the shown bottle with its lower shoulders (i.e., more pear shape), I would suspect this to be a more contemporary 19th century bottle. 

If you do not purchase this bottle let me know the source, for I most certainly would be interested in acquiring it.

Charll     
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: