About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:17:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Caps/Spoons

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Caps/Spoons  (Read 968 times)
bokaba

« on: August 25, 2016, 12:42:32 pm »

Dear Members,

Where can caps and spoons be purchased? I have purchased some bottles without caps and was wondering where you might get them.

Thank you,

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Brian

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 05:48:56 am »

Hi Brian, where are you located? Where I am in Hong Kong, there's an antique and curio store that sells at least spoons. Not sure about caps though. The spoons they have in stock are made from ivory and mammoth tusk. The manufacturing can't date back to Qing dynasty but they are at least decades old as I was told. But again, due to ivory trade restriction I wonder whether it's gonna be an issue to have the ivory spoons shipped or brought out of the territory...
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:21:55 am »

Dear Samson,

No point buying Ivory spoons. All my bottles from Europe, US and UK had their spoons broken off due to Cites. But it is ok since the price was not much affected.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 06:34:36 am »

Dear YT,

Do you mean it's like a standard procedure for many western sellers to do that? Once I bought an overlay SB from Europe and discovered the spoon missing upon its arrival. I searched all around and saw no sign of it. So I wrote them a email reporting it (as it should have come with a bone spoon according to its description). I eventually got a refund of 1/5 the price of the bottle. Some time later, I bought an ivory spoon from the shop mentioned in my previous reply as a replacement. Thinking back, could the original spoon have been made from ivory and was deliberately broken off as you suggested? But there was no mention of that in the seller's reply... Huh They simply decided to refund me part of the money which I now consider an even better deal after seeing your reply above. Smiley

Cheers,
Samson
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:42:00 am by samsonlzj » Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 06:43:16 am »

Dear Samson,

My experience is only with the three auction houses.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 09:23:26 am »

Samson,

Most dealers in the United States have done the same; broken off the spoons so there is no issues with transport across state lines or outside the US.  Some, if not many, of us collectors are thinking this is a travesty and a overly cautious practice by the dealers.  The dealers still have all these broken and/or pulled spoons at their place of business.  I am making it a practice to request an appropriate matched old spoon when buying from the dealers themselves. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 10:12:43 am »

Dear Brian,

Jill (Guo Jie) and Li Hui in Beijing sell stoppers and bamboo spoons, which are obviously not Ivory. They will be exhibiting these and bottles in the dealers' room at the Beverly Wilshire in LA, during the convention, 1-4.Nov.2016. You can also order from them via email. I will get the email and post it here.
   When I buy from dealers, I always ask if the bottle has a genuine old spoon, and if so, I ask them to hold it till I can pick it up.
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 12:01:23 pm »

I've never yet had an issue with spoons being removed. I guess I have been lucky so far.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 06:01:18 pm »

Dear Brian,

Here is the info:   guojill69@yahoo.com
They (Jill Guo Jie & her husband Li Hui) are based in Beijing, but they go to every convention (and have at least in the last 10 years or so).
They have sent me stoppers, spoons, and padded boxes for 5 or for 10, which I've ordered.
Corks I've got over the internet from suppliers to the weird people who make holes in their ears, and then enlarge them with corks, till the hole is large enough to insert a ring.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 07:15:52 pm »

Brian,

See the attached link: http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1840.msg22708.html#msg22708

I often go to gem and mineral shows and rock/mineral shops looking for items as pictured.

Charll

P.S.-the black onyx discs are spacers for beaded necklaces.  So even bead shops are a source.  I also search the for antique beads and buttons which have also been converted over to stoppers in the past. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:20:46 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 10:33:11 pm »

Corks I've got over the internet from suppliers to the weird people who make holes in their ears, and then enlarge them with corks, till the hole is large enough to insert a ring.

Dear Joey,

I hope the corks I have aren't re-cycled ones....   Shocked  Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 06:35:13 am »

EWW! Gross!

No, of course not.
Joey

Dear Joey,

I hope the corks I have aren't re-cycled ones....   Shocked  Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: