About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 10:00:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

B&W Porcelain Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: B&W Porcelain Bottle  (Read 753 times)
bokaba

« on: August 23, 2016, 11:50:04 pm »

Dear Members,

Is this porcelain bottle a modern piece? To me, it appears that the shape is odd (most porcelain bottles I've seen are a cylinder), and it is decorated with the two concentric blue rings in multiple places.

Thank you,

Brian

* s-l1600.jpg (45.74 KB, 273x422 - viewed 39 times.)

* s-l16002.jpg (97.12 KB, 483x594 - viewed 44 times.)

* s-l16003.jpg (37.64 KB, 375x348 - viewed 22 times.)

* s-l16001.jpg (102.3 KB, 640x480 - viewed 27 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Brian

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:29:31 am »

Dear Brian,

The shape is theoretically fine. It is called a 'meiping' shape. I used to translate it as 'winepot', but have just read (in Britannica), that it is for holding one spray of plum blossom and is molded to imitate the female form. OK.

The painting looks modern to me, but very well done.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:21:18 am »

Dear Joey,

I have read that 'meiping' means (or rather implies, as with so many Chinese words that don't have a precise translation) a 'plum blossom wine jar'.

Seeing your two descriptions, it looks like my source was "covering all bases"........  Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:50:23 am »

Dear Joey and Tom,
the meiping form is very old, and in Song dynasty they was indeed wine containers. The "vase for a plum branch" is a Qing interpretation but indeed they was meant as wine pots.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 08:13:15 am »

Dear Giovanni and Dear Tom,

What is your dating for the bottle Brian posted?   Roll Eyes Grin
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 11:43:23 am »

As all of you know I am mostly a MPIPB guy but to me this snuff (?) bottle was produced in the last decade at best.

A word of caution and advice: when I see a 2 $ stopper on a bottle it is an immediate alert to what is not right versus what could be right. Sorry .. If the owner knows it has either paid value of intrinsic value they wouldn't put this crap on .
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:47:34 am by Pat » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 12:40:57 pm »

Dear Joey,
I agree with your and Pat's dating: modern.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 06:33:22 pm »

A word of caution and advice: when I see a 2 $ stopper on a bottle it is an immediate alert to what is not right versus what could be right. Sorry .. If the owner knows it has either paid value of intrinsic value they wouldn't put this crap on .

Dear Pat,

That's interesting. Because I too realised that very often SBs with such stopper which has a bronze or metal like trim tend to be dated as modern. What's with this kind of stopper actually?

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 06:39:47 pm »

All,

I've seen a lot of these type of bottles while surfing the web.  I would like to see the image quite a bit closer, for I suspect it is not even painted.  The one's I've seen are often printed or graphic images that do not have brush strokes. 

Charll
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:28:01 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 08:47:06 pm »

Samson

It's a good observation and you would be 90 percent correct in using it as a criteria.  The other bvba 10 percent can be attributed to some people not being able to find suitable stoppers and replacing it with these contraptions (which I personally hate).

Now to the stoppers, they are some brass alloy and All the cabochons are either plastic resin or at best glass. They can be found for 2 to 4 dollars a piece.  I personally think they look awful and detract from the bottle in addition to giving an overall impression that the bottle is new(er). The 'spoon' they attach is just awful and made from square rods with a flattened and rounded end.

If you compare to some of the metal stoppers myself and other members have posted you will see they make sure the stopper has a real stone cabochon (or nice glass) and a real bone spoon or other suitable material like bamboo or horn, sometimes silver ...makes a big difference AND that's how these stoppers were made in the old days.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:14:20 pm by Pat » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 09:03:09 pm »

What is your dating for the bottle Brian posted? 

Dear Joey,

I would say modern too. But I am no expert when it comes to porcelains. I was collecting for 27 years before I bought my first genuine old porcelain! (I have a few modern ones I picked up in the 1970s when I first started out, but they don't count.) Giovanni is the person to ask.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 03:42:35 am »

Hence the first name on the request...  Grin
Best to all,
Joey

What is your dating for the bottle Brian posted? 

Dear Joey,

I would say modern too. But I am no expert when it comes to porcelains. I was collecting for 27 years before I bought my first genuine old porcelain! (I have a few modern ones I picked up in the 1970s when I first started out, but they don't count.) Giovanni is the person to ask.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: