About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:03:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Glazed Double Gourd Bottle

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Glazed Double Gourd Bottle  (Read 1960 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 10:37:16 am »

Dear Kevin,
yes I confirm, underglaze blue enamel does not exist. By enamels I am referring, and I believe you too are thinking the same, to the thick enamels that we usually see on over glaze decorated ware, like Famille verte, famille rose, and so on. The under glaze blue is a diluted cobalt slip and yes, it exists, it is on your bottle and on an impressive quantity of Chinese ceramics starting from Yuan dynasty until today. Probably the most common decoration in the Chinese ceramics field. And it is what you see on Ming ware. The wucai ware has under glaze cobalt blue. It is only during Kangxi that the over glaze thick enamel has been invented and we can see it in full famille verte ware. Since then the blue can either be the classic, typical, extremely common, under glaze cobalt slip or the much, much less common over glaze thick enamel. But you can distinguish them 20 meters away.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: