About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 12:20:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Glazed Double Gourd Bottle

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Glazed Double Gourd Bottle  (Read 2032 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 07:30:50 am »

Dear Giovanni,

What am I, chopped liver?  Wink Grin  This is a Jewish humour reference from NYC; it means, "Why didn't you notice I made the same points?".

Of course this is a different pottery from Yixing.
The reason I suggested 'Japanese' or 'Korean' as a source, is because I used to have a vintage or possibly modern water dropper which had a very similar design and was glazed, too. The way the stem crosses the heavier branch was identical, and it was Japanese most probably, or Korean. About 10 years ago, I gave it as a gift, with almost all my other water droppers / suitekis, to Jeremy L.'s daughter, one of my goddaughters, to start her collecting. I kept back only one, a late Ming/early Qing example in silver (Ted, DCIST, saw it in my 'Treasure Box').
Best,
Joey

I really don’t understand why I am the only one here supporting this evidence. It seems that nobody here has never handled a Yixing ware? I am inviting again to post here a Yixing example that looks close to this bottle.

Up to now, the best references for this bottle are the Japanese wares shown by YT in his latest post here above. They look to have the same stoneware body and slip type decoration. 

Kind regards
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: