About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 04:02:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Glazed Double Gourd Bottle

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Glazed Double Gourd Bottle  (Read 2040 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 02:32:01 am »

Dear Charll,
you know that on Gotheborg it is only possible to post for discussion pieces that are of your own property.
So I don’t see how to post this pot there. If Kevin is a Gotheborg member, he could post it. Or he could post it in another Forum. I suppose that there must be also Forums dedicated to Yixing ware.
Anyway, I am convinced that it will just result in a further confirmation to the fact that this bottle is not Yixing. I really don’t understand why I am the only one here supporting this evidence. It seems that nobody here has never handled a Yixing ware? I am inviting again to post here a Yixing example that looks close to this bottle.
Up to now, the best references for this bottle are the Japanese wares shown by YT in his latest post here above. They look to have the same stoneware body and slip type decoration.
Also, dear Charll, the heap and pile effect is very different from what we see on Kevin’s bottle. The heap and pile is darker, almost black, and not raised, often sunk in indeed. Apropos, I also don’t understand why Kevin is talking about “thick enamel”, as I don’t see raised decoration in his pictures.
Dear Kevin, I think that you are not understanding correctly the sentence that you mentioned:
"In Chinese ceramics enamels may be applied either to a pre-fired unglazed body (biscuit) or the surface of a high-fired glaze, after which the object is fired a second time at a lower temperature."
Two very different situation there:
1)   The enamels on biscuit body. If you have never seen one of them, be sure it is something totally different. The enamels are really thick, and the body is not glazed.
2)   In the second part of the sentence “or the surface of a high-fired glaze”, it means that the vessel is first fired at high temperature with the clear glaze, and then decorated with thick enamels OVER the glaze and fired a second time at lower temperature.
Your bottle does not fall in either one of the two situations. You are suggesting to see the Gotheborg’s glossary for Yixing ware. I really don’t see there a relation to your bottle. The first and last examples that you are mentioning (I believe that you are referring to Bonham’s teapots) are made by means of two types of Yixing paste.
Your bottle has been thrown on the wheel as shown by the base. The base of Yixing ware is always very smooth compared to that of your bottle. Then it has been decorated with a brown slip and cobalt blue dots, all covered with transparent glaze, and fired. The style of the decoration is not Chinese to me, and the whole piece, under glaze brown slip and cobalt blue on stoneware body, isn’t either.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: