About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:46:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Two Peas in a Pod

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Peas in a Pod  (Read 685 times)
cshapiro

« on: August 15, 2016, 08:19:12 pm »

Got these as a pair. Please give me your opinion on them!

* PeaPodandEggplant.jpg (241.72 KB, 600x4200 - viewed 38 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:56:55 pm »

Brand new ones Cathy... Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:34:43 pm »

I bought them because the peapod looked like one I had seen on Sotheby's here:
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2014/snuff-bottles-from-mary-george-bloch-collection-part-iv-hk0524/lot.96.html

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:42:27 pm »

Dear Cathy,

Agreed with George that these two are modern.
From your resourcefulness(finding so many examples in the internet), always ask yourself what are the difference? Also, some of the examples looked similar but why the big price difference?

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 09:49:41 pm »

Yes YT - that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out!

I read the pea pod designs varied greatly and that they were made at the same time and by the same artisans as the eggplants. I read that sometimes they added little gold flecks to the skin, and sometimes graduated the color of the glaze like on the eggplant.

So these looked right to me, and seemed to match what I've been reading. You guys see something that I don't see yet - I just wish I knew what it was.
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 04:03:11 am »

Dear Cathy,

Not sure how to explain further. We have tons of info in the porcelain section, feel free to explore.

To add to your confusion, can you guess the date of this 3.2cm bottle?  Grin

Cheers,
YT

* 588 b.jpg (57.63 KB, 495x600 - viewed 28 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 05:33:06 am »

Dear YT,

My wife cooked some just like it for dinner yesterday....  Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 06:28:32 am »

What a great theme for collecting:
Modern Copies of Snuff Bottles From the George & Mary Bloch Collection!
Why didn't I think of that?  Roll Eyes Grin

Why for Heaven's Sake, do you not post bottles for advice, BEFORE you buy ?!
We could advise you NOT to buy the obvious crap.
Though I must admit, these are very nice looking examples. If I was going to collect modern bottles which looked just like GENUINE Chinese Snuff Bottles, these would be good examples to have. 

To be clear, a bottle which was NOT made to hold snuff, is NOT a genuine snuff bottle.
So, the modern hardstone snuff bottles that Tom L (from Bangkok) posted and showed me when I visited him, and the one that Giovanni so generously gave me as a gift are genuine modern Chinese snuff bottles, made in China up to the present, for the Mongolian market, where people still use powdered snuff (as opposed to chewing tobacco).
   But bottles made in porcelain, or overlay glass or ivory, etc., and made just to be sold to unwary collectors, are NOT genuine snuff bottles.

Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:37:46 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 07:01:38 am »

Dear Tom,

You will need some strong teeth to be eating these. I had better check mine if they are still there.  Grin Grin

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 07:22:52 am »

Dear YT,

You haven't yet given us the dating of your 'pea pod' bottle.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 07:27:07 am »

Dear Joey,

Well one way of buying good bottles is to go to a high end reputable dealer, but you pay top whack for the privilege I suppose... I know a couple here in London and have decided to save my money from all the crap I might buy off eBay and buy just the one bottle at a time from a trusted source Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 08:02:00 am »

And you are smart...
   My late daddy of blessed memory, who left the family a substantial fortune on his passing 19 years ago, many times told me, "Joey, we don't have enough money to buy cheap stuff!"  Grin

One time, NOT listening to his sage advice, I bought 8 plaid shirts at the Wexford Farmers' Co-op, where I'm a member (I have a farm in Ireland). They were IŁ5 each (UKŁ4). They lasted through one wash. Barely. After the second wash, they were only good as rags. Luckily, we also needed rags.

I like dealing with Susan Gavins Page at Bob Hall, and with Nick Moss, at Hugh Moss, though I've not dealt with Hugh Moss in years. I bought a couple of bottles from Susan in the Spring.
   Does Gerard Hawthorne ever have any? Or Sydney Moss & Co.? I used to buy other stuff from Paul Moss there. The late Sydney was Hugh's grandfather, and Paul is Hugh's nephew, but Hugh M Moss and Sydney Moss & Co are today two different firms.
Best,
Joey
Best,

Dear Joey,

Well one way of buying good bottles is to go to a high end reputable dealer, but you pay top whack for the privilege I suppose... I know a couple here in London and have decided to save my money from all the crap I might buy off eBay and buy just the one bottle at a time from a trusted source Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 08:31:51 am »

I don't know the dealers you talk about well, but will have a look. Does Sydney Moss have a store in London? If so I will go have a look. I've seen Bob Hall's website before, but couldn't actually find any bottles for sale. In London I often pop into Gray's Antique Centre just off Bond Street. There are some nice bottles in there I believe and have seen 1 or 2 I'd like to purchase. Just waiting for my snuff bottle fund to get high enough to make a purchase Smiley I also know there are some high end dealers around Pimilico and near to Sloane Square.

Yep you get what you pay for. That is mostly true I believe although in antiques once every 10 years you may pluck a treasure off a shelf for pennies - hasn't happened yet though! Anyway, buying proper snuff bottles is an expensive habit and helps if you have a few pennies in the bank!!

Best,
Luke
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 09:02:47 am »

Dear YT,

You haven't yet given us the dating of your 'pea pod' bottle.
Best,
Joey
Dear Joey,

Dating is late 18th to 19th. Robert Kleiner's provenance.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 09:23:00 am »

Dear Luke,

Look out for auctions happening in London twice a year, sometimes snuff bottles are overlooked.

Attached is a 19th Carnelian carved peach that I gotten for Ł1,000. It is definitely worth more.

Cheers,
YT

* image.jpeg (37.83 KB, 478x720 - viewed 24 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 12:04:46 pm »

Sorry have been working and didn't get a chance to look at all these comments.
YT - I would have given late 18th early 19th for the date on your pea pod, because there is an example in the Blair Bequest book of mine.

What I don't know - is how to distinguish that one from a modern copy.

And Joey, I wanted to address why I don't post items here on the forum before purchasing. As I've mentioned before this forum is public, and every time I am on I see several guests are also viewing the forum. 

In a telephone conversation with a dealer, he revealed to me that he frequently checks this forum. I asked him what his handle was on the board and he said he only views as a guest. While I trust that dealer, I don't know about the rest, and bet they also frequent this board.

I have a bottle right now that I am about to purchase from an individual, and everyone is web savvy these days. If they saw good comments on their bottle, they might refuse to sell it to me or raise the price, or a dealer that views as a guest might beat me to it.  So I hesitate to post them. 

If we could make this board private, I wouldn't hesitate because we are on an honor code here, and I totally trust the forum members and value their opinions. The rest of the world? I'm not so sure about!  Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: