About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:41:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Transparent Pink Overlay Glass Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transparent Pink Overlay Glass Snuff Bottle  (Read 625 times)
cshapiro

« on: August 12, 2016, 01:03:48 pm »

Ok so I am on a mission to try to understand more about overlay glass. Here is another bottle of mine. It's pink transparent glass over white. The pink glass has bubbles and some kind of tiny grit in it that you can see with the loop - that's something I haven't read about. I am worried about the shape of the bottle and the base, but the overlay and even the color seem plausible to me on an older bottle. Would really appreciate your opinion.
And I made sure I reduced the size of the photo.

Thanks!

* pinkoverlay.jpg (179.05 KB, 800x3458 - viewed 78 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:14:22 pm »

Cathy,

The shape looks right to me, as does the base, and the colour and style of carving all look right for a late 18th/early 19th C.
bottle.
What is the height in mm. without the stopper? (Hint: 1 inch = 2.54 cm = 25.4 mm)
Any documented provenance?
Anyone know why this is NOT a very good bottle from the dating range I mentioned?
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

cshapiro

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 03:09:36 pm »

Oh that would be so nice if I accidentally bought a good bottle!

Height is so much easier in centimeters. It's 6.5 cm or 65 mm tall minus the stopper.

I could press for provenance because I have contact info for the seller, and so if it's worthwhile will do that.

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 12:00:57 am »

Cathy,

The shape looks right to me, as does the base, and the colour and style of carving all look right for a late 18th/early 19th C.
bottle.
What is the height in mm. without the stopper? (Hint: 1 inch = 2.54 cm = 25.4 mm)
Any documented provenance?
Anyone know why this is NOT a very good bottle from the dating range I mentioned?
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Dear Joey,

This does not look right to me especially on that date range. (your last sentence looks to be a challenge? Grin)

Lack of details on the Chilong with very minimal carving. Not sure how to explain but there could even have been a Chilong mold created for the pouring of the molten pink glass.
Which may also explain why I cannot see the overlay carvings onto the base bottle.

The very thin base rim is not seen in the 18th.

Dear Cathy, this is purely a doubt.
Just my two cents which can easily be thrown out.  Tongue Wink

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 12:36:24 am »

Thanks YT

I found another example of what appears to be this same overlay pattern on a bottle at Christie's.
I am attaching it here for reference.

Please compare and let me know what you think.
The bottle there is a red overlay on pale turquoise glass. So the differences are the colors, and the height of the bottle - the bottle there is 6cm tall and mine is 6.5, but the pattern itself looks very close to my untrained eye.

If you want to see it on the site, here's the link:
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-red-overlay-pale-turquoise-glass-snuff-bottle-5977573-details.aspx?from=salesummery&intObjectID=5977573&sid=34f584a2-ef14-41aa-9058-b47c26b20c07

Now it may be totally inappropriate for me to make a comparison like this - if so, please let me know

* christiesoverlaydragon.jpg (21.84 KB, 332x523 - viewed 47 times.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:44:25 am by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 01:06:57 am »

Thanks YT

I found another example of what appears to be this same overlay pattern on a bottle at Christie's.
I am attaching it here for reference.

Please compare and let me know what you think.
The bottle there is a red overlay on pale turquoise glass. So the differences are the colors, and the height of the bottle - the bottle there is 6cm tall and mine is 6.5, but the pattern itself looks very close to my untrained eye.

If you want to see it on the site, here's the link:
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-red-overlay-pale-turquoise-glass-snuff-bottle-5977573-details.aspx?from=salesummery&intObjectID=5977573&sid=34f584a2-ef14-41aa-9058-b47c26b20c07

Now it may be totally inappropriate for me to make a comparison like this - if so, please let me know

Dear Cathy,

This is exactly my point. Thank you for bringing out this example.

Look closely.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 01:26:27 pm »

Dear YT,

I  WAS, because I've not purchased or really looked at overlays since Clare sold almost all of mine in the early 1990s  (ie., 23 or so years ago).  I actually have seen similar bases on 18th C. bottles, but I did not look to see if the Qilongs' carving cuts into the background material.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: