About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:03:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

My First Get Together With A Fellow Snuff Bottle Collector !

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: My First Get Together With A Fellow Snuff Bottle Collector !  (Read 4597 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 01:18:19 am »

Joey

What you say makes sense, but I like to compare/contrast all the time.  And this allows me to do so better, quicker and easier.  I do assume the risk of accidents and breakage. 

Although, in China now, many collectors truly display their bottles or Netsuke.
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:57 am »

Pat,
   I accept what you say, and being Western (Asian! Wink), I do have multiple objects on display in each room in my home,
but would you say that the present-day collectors in east Asia are 'scholarly' collectors? I doubt YF Yang would.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 01:35:52 am »

Agree, they like to 'show' or 'show off' (the latter not always though, dont want to leave the wrong impression here).  Peter would agree. Not sure if Steven and Walter see it the same way, living in the US with Chinese heritage.  I am curious...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 04:06:17 am »

Joey,
   That is an interesting concept about selective viewing of one's treasures. I had not heard it before. I simply, and wrongly, assumed that most Chinese collectors simply didn't have the space to display everything at the same time! A bit like the British Museum only showing 10% of its collection, while 90% sits in storage in the basement.
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 07:56:21 am »

Tom,
  Make the same experiment in your home, that YF Yang had me do in mine.
Take a room in your home, and, without going in, list what is on the walls, and the relative size (use an A-4 page as your 'measure'), and details of the individual artworks. Then try to remember the last time you did more than gaze on it as you entered, left or were in the room.
 Mr. Yang's argument was that, after a few months, we tend to 'know' the stuff is there, and barely look at it. It is 'old' visually.
  Now, take out a bottle you've had in a box for a month or two, or an object you've only owned a month or two. Don't you look at it with 'new eyes' (so to speak)?
 It was a facinating and 'eye-opening' experience for me. Hope it helps you enrich your collecting, as well.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 09:12:26 pm »

Joey,

YF Yang gave you good advice. That is so true about the art objects we have in our homes.

In the case of snuff bottles, at least in the case of functionable ones, we can take this idea a step further: carry around one chosen bottle for day; then on another day pick a different one and carry it with you. By handling these little treasures we can appreciate them with our fingers as well as our eyes. This way, even bottles I have had for years take on a new 'perspective'.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 04:34:22 am »

Tom,
  That would be a great suggestion, if I wasn't dispraxic ( a fancy way of saying clumsy). I used to carry a bottle around at times, till I dropped a valuable (to me then; today I know I lost a mediocre US$200 bottle) Jade bottle which cracked on the hard Israeli tile floor, embarrassing me and the person I was trying to show it to. Undecided Sad
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 05:01:55 am »

Joey,
  Ouch......that's too bad. There are always bottles made of organic materials, like wood and gourd, which may be a little more forgiving when accidentally dropped.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 07:40:57 am »

Tom,
    Believe me, today I see it as a warning from Above. It was a pity but not the end of the world.
     Even if it had not broken in 1974, from Nov. 1980 it would have been out of my collection (In Nov. 1980, after returning from the New Orleans Convention, I went through my collection, weeding out anything I decided was not good enough quality or condition to remain. I flew the 34 bottles (out of 98 I'd had) to London, and bunged 'em into Sotheby's London. 
     One, a modern Lapis, I brought back, and gave to my mom as a gift, after commissioning a wonderful Armenian jeweler, Kevork Panikian, to make a necklace with a pendant (which held the bottle, and had a hinged top bit, so the stopper could be withdrawn), copying a design I'd done in thin copper wire. 32 bottles were divided into 2 groups of 16 and sold in a furniture auction in Torquay (I've written elsewhere about this); and the last one was sold in London, and fetched almost 3 times what I'd expected).
 But thank you for the good thoughts,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

TheTalyaDCollection
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 01:11:18 am »

That looks like great fun.I would love to have such an encounter with another collector some day.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 04:42:31 am »

Dear Talya/Tayla (which is it, so we can address you correctly?),

On which continent do you reside? We have fellow collectors on the Forum in East and West Asia, Europe, North America and Australia.

So far, I have visited fellow Forum members in Italy; Hong Kong; Bangkok; Singapore; and TX, LA, OR, NY, in the USA. It has been a lot of fun, and I've learned a lot and shared my knowledge as well (try to shut me up!  Cheesy Grin).  I have also visited many friends who are collectors and members of the ICSBS.

These were in Australia, South Africa, Brazil, USA, Canada, the Far East (see above, and add Taipei), and Europe (see above and add, Belgium, France, Spain, Turkey).

Best,
     Joey
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 11:16:45 am »

Dear Joey,

Love to see someone try that...
It has been a lot of fun, and I've learned a lot and shared my knowledge as well (try to shut me up!  Cheesy Grin).

Cheesy

Kidding aside, I do appreciate all that I've learned from you.

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Private Boards

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 04:59:25 pm »

Dear David,
    Sharing knowledge is a trait of successful cultures, countries and people.
Judaism and Israel are both successful, as are Western cultures, when they don't let themselves be 'hogtied' by those screaming 'islamophobia' every moment.
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: