About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 09:03:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Tiny Dots and Help with Mark

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiny Dots and Help with Mark  (Read 791 times)
cshapiro

« on: August 02, 2016, 03:16:36 pm »

Hello! I have run into this mark a couple of times now - both on porcelains that I "think" are not modern. Could anyone help me with it? I've looked on Gotheborg and in all my books and even tried to find it in my Chinese/English dictionary to no avail.

Also I know I have read something somewhere about the Chinese using tiny dots in their paintings almost like printers use the CYMK dots and these bottles have these tiny dots. Could anyone point me in the direction to learn more about this technique?

* IMG_6825 (2) (Small).JPG (48.33 KB, 409x480 - viewed 67 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:50:46 pm »

I can share with you that this is a brand new bottle, but not sure what dots you are asking about..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 08:47:24 pm »

Dear Cathy,

These are modern crap. Pity to waste your time on them (it? it looks like 2. Is it front and reverse of one bottle?).
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 09:20:50 pm »

Hi Cathy,

If these are modern bottles, the tiny dots you are seeing may be because the design is printed on, not painted. 

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

cshapiro

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 10:55:04 pm »

They are curious.  And yes Joey its two bottles because as you know when i mess up its always big! I just read about transfer printing on gotheborg. Tomorrow when I have daylight I will take a picture. The painting or transfer or whatever it is is made up of tiny dots but they aren't computer printing dots they are almost like they were done on grids. Then clear enamel was painted over carefully following the pattern.

But I would really like to know the significance or meaning of the symbols on the bottle. I've seen these symbols also on some blue and white porcelain that thankfully I don't also own! Haha

These came from England if that matters

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
cshapiro

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 12:04:32 am »

I went ahead and took a picture under fluorescent light tonight and think this shows it pretty well. Parts of it look like a crude transfer like with an early dot matrix printer, but there are parts of it that appear hand painted.

* IMG_6838 (2) (Small).JPG (47.12 KB, 260x480 - viewed 56 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 12:24:09 am »

It may be a transfer, enhanced with some hand detailing before fixing with a glaze.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 03:51:14 am »

Dear Kathy,
You spoke about the mark, but you did not show the mark.
Anyway, is you member of Gotheborg? If so, which is your name there? I don’t remember you there.
Your bottles are, as said by others, modern and transfer printed. If you want an explanation of the dots that you see in the lines, that is because of the printing technique, which is a combination of silk screen and pad printing. I did a description of the technique on Gotheborg in the following thread:
http://www.gotheborg.com/discus/read.php?file=/253/690801.html
But this is only accessible by members.
Dear all, if you think that it can be of interest, I can repeat the description here on the Forum.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 04:29:27 am »

Dear Giovanni,

Yes please!

Regards,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 05:40:03 am »

Dear all, if you think that it can be of interest, I can repeat the description here on the Forum.
Giovanni

You bet !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 09:51:35 am »

Dear Giovanni,

Yes! That is exactly it! Thanks so much for the article.. now I know what it is!

Cathy
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 12:30:50 pm »

Dear Cathy,

The significance of the symbols is that they tempt people with little knowledge to buy the crap showing them.
The meaning is to transfer valuable cash from your bank acct. to theirs.
Best,
Joey

They are curious.  And yes Joey its two bottles because as you know when i mess up its always big! I just read about transfer printing on gotheborg. Tomorrow when I have daylight I will take a picture. The painting or transfer or whatever it is is made up of tiny dots but they aren't computer printing dots they are almost like they were done on grids. Then clear enamel was painted over carefully following the pattern.

But I would really like to know the significance or meaning of the symbols on the bottle. I've seen these symbols also on some blue and white porcelain that thankfully I don't also own! Haha

These came from England if that matters

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

cshapiro

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 03:06:58 pm »

Never one to mince words, are you Joey!? hahaha
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: