About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:52:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Teeny Tiny Calligraphy on Ivory? Bottle

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Teeny Tiny Calligraphy on Ivory? Bottle  (Read 1524 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« on: July 26, 2016, 05:57:48 am »

Dear Cathy,

YT, as usual, is correct. I was talking about 'vintage' snuff bottles, as opposed to antique snuff bottles, and was drawn into a tangent about Bakelite snuff bottles. But at least the bakelite bottles, which are ca. 1890-1940, were actually used. This bottle is very pretty, and nicely made, but it dates to ca.1950-1990, and was probably NOT made to be used.

I say 'probably', because another Forum (AND ICSBS) member and very good friend,  Tom L. from Bangkok, has a small group of modern hardstone bottles made in the PRC for use in Mongolia by Mongolian snuff users. And thanks to Giovanni, yet another Forum member and very good friend, I now also have a beautiful modern Hardstone (probably Jasper) snuff bottle, which we nicknamed 'The Burning Bush' (because the natural material has  what looks like a representation of it from the Biblical story of Moses in the Wilderness of Sinai).

This was a very generous gift by Giovanni, which I use to give out snuff in Synagogue on Shabbat. Religious Jews who are addicted to nicotine, but can't smoke on Shabbat, take snuff to satisfy their nicotine craving.

But we don't know of modern Ivory snuff bottles for sale in Ulaanbaatar (or Ulan Bator), Mongolia, while we do know one can still buy the modern hardstone SBs in the menswear depts of department stores there. I had the 3 sons and one daughter of 3  Israeli friends, who were touring in Mongolia, go into a department store, to buy me bottles. They found them, but could not decide which ones to buy, and were worried I'd balk at the price (about US$60-100 each). I'd offered to give them US$500 before they left, "just in case", but they refused saying it would be too stressful for them to worry about losing my money, or buying 'the wrong ones'. Oh well.

And I don't know of another location where people who themselves take snuff, but bottles for their snuff habit.

Re.naming: The superb craftsmanship of YT's incised glass bottle by Zhou Honglai is properly referred to as 'Micro Engraving'.
The 'chicken scratching' on your ivory bottle properly deserves the description ' teeny tiny calligraphy'... Grin Roll Eyes
(Me Bad)

Best,
Joey

Joey it is very well hollowed - I can move the spoon around to tell that the walls are pretty thin.
So do you know where I could look for more information about it?

Oh and why are you talking about bakelite? I know for sure it's not bakelite.

thanks

Dear Cathy,

I am sure Joey knows this is not Bakelite. This is just his way of expression and has always delighted all of us with his collection journey and the many interesting stories relating to snuff bottles.

As for your bottle, I am for a modern dating.
The poem is from Song dynasty of one poet that misses his brother.
"明月几时有,把酒问青天。不知天上宫阙,今夕是何年?我欲乘风归去,又恐琼楼玉宇,高处不胜寒。起舞弄清影,何似在人间?"

As this poem was later turned into a very famous song sang by Teresa Teng in 1984, I won't be surprise that this bottle was made after that.

Cheers,
YT
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 06:02:06 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: