About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 09:53:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Information about this ivory snuff bottle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Information about this ivory snuff bottle  (Read 2064 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 04:49:45 am »

Dear Pat,

After rereading it a number of times, I got that you were agreeing with me, and adding extra 'clues' on how to find good and even great quality examples. BUT my worry is, that if they spend all their money on rubbish (a more delicate term in place of 'crap', which I've been using too much! Grin), they will either be disgusted and stop, or not have the funds to buy the quality examples.

I have a hang-up about damage. I just received a bottle I bought from YF Yang  months ago, but which went on its own travels, and is now safely in my hands. It is an 18th C. apple green Jadeite bottle, a cylindrical bulbous bottle with flared neck, and both mouth and foot are gently indented. It is totally plain. The problem for me is, it has a tiny bruise in the outer rim of the neck, and it bothers me every time I see it. I'm telling myself that it is in memory of the destruction of our Holy Temple in Jerusalem, almost 2000 years ago.

You, not being bothered by damage, are able to get cheaply, superb bottles I would not touch. Like the Quartz, and the Zhou Leyuan I saw at your home, and others. And in my opinion, you are possibly a better collector than I, since you look ONLY at the beauty, and not at the market value. I also want to know that my knowledge has some monetary profit, as well as increasing the general body of knowledge.

Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:02:04 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 05:05:10 am »

Dear Joey,

Quality is far too expensive and trends are unpredictable.

I was comparing glass bottle pricing in the 70s to now. The really good ones did not increase that much.
Whilst Jade is a total different story. Few hundred dollar good Jade bottles in the 70s selling for tens of thousands is quite common now.

Also the internet is teaching a lot of people to be wiser very fast. Even auction house are reducing their quantity and improving their quality to keep their customers. Just look at Bonhams HK's Chinese sale for example.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 09:02:45 am »

Dear YT,

I'm sorry, but fine glass bottles I could have acquired for a few hundred US$ now can cost over US$5,000 !
And an overlay I paid US$1200 for in 1988, and traded in 1995 for 2 Ding Erzhongs in glass, a Zhou Leyuan in quartz, and a Daoguang Imperial mark and period  B & W porcelain landscape bottle (total value then, US$65,000) was sold in the Bloch sale for close to US$100,000.

If you want an area where prices have NOT gone way up, collect ancient glass from the Eastern Mediterranean.  Roll Eyes Grin
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

Quality is far too expensive and trends are unpredictable.

I was comparing glass bottle pricing in the 70s to now. The really good ones did not increase that much.
Whilst Jade is a total different story. Few hundred dollar good Jade bottles in the 70s selling for tens of thousands is quite common now.

Also the internet is teaching a lot of people to be wiser very fast. Even auction house are reducing their quantity and improving their quality to keep their customers. Just look at Bonhams HK's Chinese sale for example.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 09:18:48 am »

Dear Joey,

That is exactly my point. Good glass going up by about 10 times or more. The YuZhi is an exception where you have admitted it was a very rare occasion.

As for Good Jade, majority of them has gone up 100 times which is a more worthy investment than glass due to the Chinese love for Jade.

My comparisons are based on quite a number of Bloch bottles against their purchase price in the 70s.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

albert

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 08:51:40 am »

Hello,

You are saying, that the snuff bottles in the last 30 years increase their price; and I'm agrre with this, indeed I read that it succes whit all chinese antiquies, isn't it?

But you know what is the main reason to explain it?

Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 08:28:40 pm »

Albert

As Chinese society is becoming more affluent they are starting to buy back their antiques. In addition snuff bottles are easy to display and store in collection type numbers whereas other Chinese antiques like paintings and porcelain are not ...

Just my experience from living in China before and talking with other collectors...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 10:02:14 pm »

Dear Albert,

Overall I agree with Pat's comment. And especially the enamels and hardstones(Jade, Agates...) are the favorites for Chinese market.

One same joke that I have heard from the top few collectors is that snuff bottle is easily carried around in the hundreds. During turbulent times, they can easily escape with the bottles.

My first private viewing was when a dear dear friend brought 60 bottles in 10 small pouches traveling to a few countries to show potential bidders. These were the top bottles of a 180 bottle auction sale and yet the traveling was relatively easy and safe.
No other Chinese sale can an auctioneer bring 60 lots around without damaging them.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 10:30:18 pm »

One same joke that I have heard from the top few collectors is that snuff bottle is easily carried around in the hundreds. During turbulent times, they can easily escape with the bottles.

So one could say: "The desirability lies in the mobility"...    Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 03:37:53 am »

and when houses get smaller .... the collectables need to go down in size accordingly too.... Grin Grin Grin

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 12:39:37 pm »

Or buy a bigger house....   Roll Eyes Grin
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]