About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:18:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Cultural Revolution theme

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cultural Revolution theme  (Read 925 times)
wgeoff
Private Boards

« on: July 23, 2016, 08:07:43 pm »

Hi All

I haven't posted for a long time, I haven't had any new bottles to show and I'm not an expert on commentary. But a recent visit to my home in Hong Kong by Richy from Singapore spurred my interest and I decided to try something a bit different - a Cultural Revolution themed bottle purchased from Bill Patrick's collection

Bill was careful to say "themed" because it's unlikely these bottles were painted during the Cultural Revolution, probably just after, in the early 1980's, copying the posters from the CR.
The signature is Liu Lichong, I believe, but almost certainly not a real name.

According to Bill, the titles say "Down with American Invaders" and "American Imperialism must be defeated" - some good phrases for Donald Trump to use, with different country names of course, Mexican Invaders and Chinese Imperialism spring to mind.

This bottle came from the collection of John Standish, a superintendent with the Hong Kong police in the early 1980's when he collected them in Hong Kong. So, as I said to Bill, it's the Prodigal Son coming home.

Not one of my best quality bottles but it captures the primitive nature of the original posters well and is one I will enjoy looking at over the years. And it fits my interest in bottles with Chinese historical subjects.
The Cultural Revolution was only 50 years ago, I lived through it (but not in China thank goodness!).

Geoff
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 05:22:13 am by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 03:20:29 am »

Hi Geoff ! 

Wonderful bottle.. The way it is painted seems unique in style.

Congratulations, and glad you shared this one with us !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 05:00:01 am »

Hi Geoff, this is Samson also from HK. Nice to see another forum member from home! These cultural revolution themed bottles are so interesting. Despite the general trend and sentiment in the Chinese society back then to wipe out all things belonging to the so-called "old society" (it wouldn't have been surprising to find snuff bottle on such a list), snuff bottles were still being used as a medium of political propaganda... A very unique phenomenon indeed! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:07:25 am by samsonlzj » Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:00:50 am »

Dear Geoff,

This is very interesting, but I wonder that they would have been produced just after the Cultural Revolution. I could see them produced DURING the CR, or 20 years later, after the strong anti-CR feelings of most people who'd suffered, had time to dissipate.
I have a box of 10 CR bottles; 1 is actually ca. 1945-1949, and illustrates 'The Great Patriotic War' against the Japanese, ca.1937-1945.
The artist died in 1949. I will try to post them after I return to Israel.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 08:52:29 am »

Hi Geoff

Very nice bottle, and has the wood block carving type of texture..... It also remind me of the early Chinese Stamp that I collect when I was a kid....

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 08:07:42 pm »

Geoff

I also like this one very much ... I was never lucky enough to acquire one. Steven outbid me on a Liu Shouben one a while ago.  They are special ....

Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 09:12:32 pm »

Thanks all for your comments.

It's an interesting bottle, not artistically great but certainly historically interesting.
Bill thinks it's most likely a 1980's painting, mainly based on how and where he acquired it - but what about the bottle itself, would that be 1980's?

I'm interested to see Joey's CR bottles some time - the Shandong production during the CR looks very distinctive in shape and design, nothing like this, but JH Leung shows some quite similar bottles on page 181 of A New Look and Bill Patrick has more like this one.

Geoff

PS Samson, we must meet up some time.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 11:50:28 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 03:24:03 am »

Dear Geoff,

I will try to get the CR/CCP Ideological subject  bottles photographed and onto a CD, and post them on the Forum.
I bought them from Robert Kleiner LTD, London, but believe they came from the Michael & Elizabeth Kaynes/Klitz collection, formed in Hong Kong during the 1950s-1980s.

Best Wishes,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 04:55:29 pm »

Thanks Joey, I (and others) look forward to seeing them

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 05:37:44 pm »

Dear Geoff,

I will be home in Jerusalem (as opposed to 'home' in my Irish summer home, where I am right now), two weeks tomorrow. I will send the Cultural Revolution bottles off to be photographed a day or so later. Hopefully you all can see them in a few weeks.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 07:19:58 pm »

Dear Joey,

That's great! Really look forward to them!

Best wishes,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: