About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 12:50:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Time for another poll!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for another poll!  (Read 3935 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 06:02:38 am »

It is more a taste issue than an education issue, so your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.
Best,
Joey

I prefer the blue lapis, (but I am less educated about snuff bottles than most people here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:43:14 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

guest526
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 01:38:26 am »

Lovely bottle Tom, I vote for the red stopper but like the collar on the black the best. Smiley

Cheers
Uma
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 02:04:13 am »

Thanks Uma,

Did you cast your vote yet? Just click on the button next to your choice at the top of the screen.  Wink

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

guest526
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 01:31:49 am »

oops, thanks Tom. Done now  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 05:10:38 am »

Good thing this is not  'Audience Votes' on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire"! It is pretty well evenly voted.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 06:17:53 am »

Thank you all for taking part in this poll!  This is one of the biggest turn-outs I can remember seeing. Thanks especially to our newer members on the forum. The result is very evenly spread, as Joey has pointed out. Which only goes to show that we all have different tastes.....thankfully.

I very much wanted to use the blue lapis, because I bought a number of lapis cabochons nearly 20 years ago. They have been knocking around in a drawer ever since because I never found the "right" bottle for any of them. Even though the fit was perfect the colour just didn't seem to enhance the bottle, so I reluctantly rejected it. The smoky quartz stopper is VERY "shibui" (a Japanese adjective meaning simple, subtle, and unobtrusive beauty), which appeals to my aesthetic taste. But I am put off by the flat profile of the dome. I much prefer tall domes like that of the red carnelian stopper. Red is a popular choice with collectors for quartz and chalcedony bottles, but I felt that in the case of this bottle it was a little too overpowering.

I finally decided on the lilac jade stopper. It seemed to complement the icy coolness of the quartz and fitted in with the wintry landscape perfectly. So this is the one I have used to illustrate the bottle on a post in another thread entitled "Crystal Clear", where more information can be found on the bottle itself....  

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1842.0/msg,41986.html

PS: I've never watched "Who Wants To Be A Millionnaire", so not sure of the implications...   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:23:34 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 09:04:09 am »

Dear Tom,

I must admit that your choice is quite pleasing. The truth is, all would have suited, though I didn't like the low profile of the last one, or putting quartz with quartz.

The reason many collectors prefer a red or orange stopper with a clear (quartz) or white (nephrite jade) bottle, is because it symbolises Yin and Yang.

Yin and Yang Colours

Yin colours are the colours that bring about healing and relaxation. It is considered more feminine and calm. Yin colours : clear, white, blue, purple and green.

Yang colours are the colours that provide us the enthusiasm or the active energy required to do something or be motivated. It is considered more masculine and bold.
Yang colours : red, yellow and orange.

These are just short lists of Yin & Yang colours.
 Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:37:16 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 09:12:26 am »

Dear Tom,

In the program mentioned below, the competitor tries to go from 0 to UK£ 1 million  by answering 15 questions, each with 4 possible answers. Which get harder as they are worth more money. The first few (for 100, 200, and 500 UK£, are stupidly easy; then, 1,000, 2,000, 4,000, 8,000, etc. are progressively harder.

One  starts the game with 3 'lifelines': "Ask a Friend", "Take away two Wrong Answers", and "Ask The Audience". Many times, the latter has 94% on one answer, and a few % on each of the others.

Best,
Joey

PS: I've never watched "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", so not sure of the implications...   Roll Eyes

[/quote]
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 08:06:06 pm »

The reason many collectors prefer a red or orange stopper with a clear (quartz) or white (nephrite jade) bottle, is because it symbolises Yin and Yang.

Dear Joey,

I never knew choices of stopper colour were selected for that reason. I've learned something new.

Best,
Tom

PS: Thanks for explaining that TV game show. Obviously no one-sided results on my poll.  Wink
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:08:13 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 08:38:51 pm »

Dear Tom,

My pleasure. I would not say ALL collectors base their stoppering on it, but certainly most educated collectors would. And many bottles come to us already matched based on these principles.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 02:01:58 am »

I would not say ALL collectors base their stoppering on it, but certainly most educated collectors would.

Dear Joey,

In that case I must belong to the uneducated minority!   Roll Eyes  Grin

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 04:43:18 am »

Dear Tom,

No, you used to belong to the uneducated majority of collectors; but NOW you know, you belong to the educated minority. whether you choose to use the knowledge is up to you...
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: