About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:54:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Seeking Opinion on Glass Kylin

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking Opinion on Glass Kylin  (Read 1352 times)
cshapiro

« on: July 13, 2016, 11:01:38 pm »

Ok so you said I could ask your opinion before I buy, but unfortunately I have already bought this one.
I bought it from a girl in Honolulu, and then immediately after several more came onto the market mainly from China. I have counted 6, but there are three different variations on the design. All are in amber or green glass.
I can't find a record of anything like this - but then again I have a limited library at this point.
Because they are coming from China, I am thinking that I have made a mistake - so would highly value your opinion.

thanks!

* s-l1600 (2).jpg (173.64 KB, 950x893 - viewed 36 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 04:20:12 am »

It was only a mistake if you thought it old and of value.. If it appeals to you, then find a nice place on your shelf for it..  Smiley

Maybe this is an ok time to ask you ...  Is there a particular type of snuff bottle you are most attracted to ? Porcelains, inside painted, gemstone, glass, etc. ?
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:21:20 am »

Hi George,

So this was probably made like yesterday. Still it's very beautiful and I could bury it in my backyard with instructions for my son to dig it up in 50 years. Haha! That is, if there aren't already 10,000 of them made.

I think I'm trying very hard to be a collector of bottles that I can enjoy, but that will at least retain it's value, if not increase, and at the moment am too caught up in the "oh that's so pretty" stage where I am making bad decisions.

I am not buying any more bottles at the moment. In the short weeks since I started collecting, I think I have close to a hundred bottles so it's time to step back, re access, and read some more!

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 09:59:57 am »

Hi Cathy,

Welcome to the Forum from Steven here. I have been offline more than one month., Glad to see so many new members here.

As I always tell new collectors, read more before buying. Your bottle sure is unusual and good looking, but not the typical bottle which all collectors will appreciate.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:30:01 am »

Morning Steven, and welcome back !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:45:33 am »

You know the song "29 bottles of beer on the wall"?
Well 21 bottles just arrived - more from my BBB (I want to coin a new phrase here!)

I think I did more than ok on these, but will post a few of them later for your opinion.

And hello Steven! Nice to meet you. I am reading - I've read Lilla Perry's book, am in the middle of Bob Stevens book, have read Ma Shaoxuan, have looked through and read a little of the Blair Bequest, have thoroughly enjoyed Joey Silver's Israel Exhibition catalog, and have read everything on Hugh Moss' site. I am trying! I think with me, it takes a while to sink in, plus I haven't ever seen or held any real bottles and I think that's an important part of the education that I'm missing. 

Cheers!
Cathy

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 11:01:54 am »

I am not buying any more bottles at the moment. In the short weeks since I started collecting, I think I have close to a hundred bottles so it's time to step back, re access, and read some more!

That's a lot of bottles !!  Looking forward to seeing them as you share them ... Crossing my fingers for you that there are a few extra special ones !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 12:01:07 pm »

I will post them in the right section, but here's a preview - they are all amber - each one different - beautifully carved - and some have seals or calligraphy on them

* IMG_6389 (Small).JPG (89.26 KB, 720x480 - viewed 41 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Steven

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 12:47:55 pm »

Hi Cathy,

I really don't want to disappoint you over here, but they are not REAL amber as I can tell, maybe not even a single one, I wish you didn't pay much for them or I am totally wrong.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 01:34:51 pm »

Wow Stephen - how can you tell that from this picture?
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
cshapiro

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 02:08:36 pm »

Ok this is getting embarrassing! I'm going to delete this whole thread!
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 02:38:35 pm »

Cathy,

From the pictures my concern is that actually all these bottles are a resin material and are molded.  I've actually purchase a couple of these types of bottles myself to use as a comparison when looking at true amber bottles.  I was looking to see how close they are coming at imitating the natural/native materials. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

cshapiro

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 02:59:20 pm »

Unfortunately the board won't let me delete this thread!

Charll - I'll be happy to sell you one!

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Steven

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 03:40:08 pm »

Ok this is getting embarrassing! I'm going to delete this whole thread!

Hi Cathy,

Nothing to be embarrassed about, the reason I can tell from just a glance is that I have been there before, I bought a quite few of fake ones when I started to collect, and I believe that most of the collectors have been there before, and I do still pick up some fakes from time to time.

It would be a good to keep the thread if you are comfortable, since it can help the newer collectors to know the mistakes you have made, and not make it again which is the good part of the Forum, you can learn from other's mistake . But you have right to ask George to delete the post.

You also can go through some old threads of the Forum, it has a lot of info, and you can learn a lots from the mistakes we have made.

Best and Happy collecting..

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 04:17:11 pm »

Oh for the sake of the greater good, I will bear my shame!

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 05:04:58 pm »

You also can go through some old threads of the Forum, it has a lot of info, and you can learn a lots from the mistakes we have made.

Cathy,

All you have to do is type in 'mistakes' in the search box at the top right corner of the page header and you'll see all kinds of threads with bottles and related discussions on mistakes we've all made. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 05:29:14 pm »

Oh for the sake of the greater good, I will bear my shame!

Roll Eyes

There ya go ..  Cheesy

There have been times where I to could have started a hall of shame thread for myself !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 07:39:27 pm »

You're certainly right George! Most of us have at some point in our collector's life left a footprint in the "Hall of Shame"! Cheesy

Dear Cathy,

As a new collector myself, I'd say, be cautious and skeptical on each piece before making the decision to buy it. Spend every effort to ensure you'll get something that's really worth what you're paying. So to say if for the price you're paying you're intending to get an antique bottle, try making sure it is indeed an antique bottle. I was told that this hobby can be addictive to which I agree. Sometimes we're too much attracted by how special and pretty some of pieces look at a glance. Don't blindly let the addiction drive you. I started the hobby just less than a year ago. I too bought quite some bottles in the first couple of months. Having learned more about snuff bottles recently, my feeling is that only 1/3 of them are authentic. I've got plenty of useful and important advises from the guys on the forum. Our participation in all these discussions would only consolidate our knowledge in the very hobby we love, and the very collection we're going to put our money on. I've kinda slowed down these days, haven't bought anything for months. I want to make sure I'm getting the right ones. And I think it's helping. Just to give you an example, while browsing through auction house webpages recently, I was drawn by an antique amber bottle which I decided to get at my affordable price. Eventually I missed it as the bidding went too high. But that I think at least prove one thing, the realized price and number of bids of the bottle did reflect that it was a genuine antique. I see that as a subtle turning point in my collector's life showing that I am beginning to gain the ability to identify the real stuff. Of course, there's still an ocean to learn! Just be patient, and don't be disappointed by your mistakes. Just try your best to minimize the risk.

There's a Chinese saying: 失敗是成功之母, which reads failure is the mother of success. I believe many other cultures have the same teaching too.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 07:49:27 pm »

Well said Samson !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 08:21:39 pm »

Thanks Samson - next time I even think about buying a bottle, I will re-read this post!
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: