About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 02:28:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Green Stone Bottle -Jade?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Green Stone Bottle -Jade?  (Read 1850 times)
cshapiro

« on: July 07, 2016, 07:51:38 pm »

Another bottle from this collection (goes with the strawberry one)!
This was sold to me as jade, but I don't think I really know what jade looks like. I think I know what prehnite, and chalcedony, and all the other pale green stones look like that are sold as jade.
This one is a very, very rich green. The pictures don't do it justice. It almost has an opalescence to the surface.
I read the previous posts about how a jade should show some wear, and this one looks like it's been handled alot!
So am just looking for an opinion on the bottle, and again would ask if you think it might be jade, if you think it would be worthy of a GIA trip.

thanks for watching my channel - two more episodes to come!

* emeraldgreenjadebottle.jpg (388.02 KB, 1200x1555 - viewed 71 times.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:36:37 pm by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:06:24 pm »

This looks to me like nephrite jade, and quite modern. In old China it was quite rare and hence highly sought after, but there are several commercial sources for this colour of jade nowadays - New Zealand, Canada, Siberia, and Central America to name but a few.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

cshapiro

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:14:08 pm »

Thanks Tom!
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 09:34:52 pm »

Dear Cathy,

Yes, I would agree with Tom.
Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:36:27 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 12:04:34 am »

I think the spoon is much nicer and probably worth more than the bottle... At least you have a nice stopper/spoon for a future bottle if you like..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 12:30:46 am »

Thanks George - I have not given the tops enough consideration thus far, and it is a lovely one!
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 04:02:23 am »

Dear Cathy,

That is NOT "Emerald Green Jade".
That description is usually used for Jadeite. This is Nephrite. Nephrite from where, I'm not sure.
Age, I think modern.
One needs to be careful not to give false titles.
If I didn't know what to put, I might write, "Green Stone Bottle. Jade?"
Or, if I did know it was Jade, but was unsure which type (Nephrite, Jadeite, Chloromelonite):
"Green Jade Bottle. Nephrite or Jadeite?"
Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:36:57 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 04:11:36 am »

Dear Cathy,

I thought this was a Green Serpentine. GIA charges are very reasonable, I think it is worth checking it out.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 04:33:03 am »

Dear Cathy,

I thought this was a Green Serpentine.

That is what I believe as well...
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 04:55:59 am »

Cathy,

It might be serpentine, as suggested. But if so, there is a very simple test you can do without sending it to the GIA.

Serpentine is a much softer stone than nephrite jade. The point of a steel knife blade will easily scratch serpentine.

Note! Contrary to what you may read, nephrite jade can also scratch if you use a high carbon steel point and press really hard. But it's not nearly so easy to leave a scratch mark on nephrite as on serpentine.

Choose the location carefully, so that the mark is discreet!   
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 05:59:26 am »

Or even better, almost unnoticeable!  Grin
Joey

Cathy,

It might be serpentine, as suggested. But if so, there is a very simple test you can do without sending it to the GIA.

Serpentine is a much softer stone than nephrite jade. The point of a steel knife blade will easily scratch serpentine.

Note! Contrary to what you may read, nephrite jade can also scratch if you use a high carbon steel point and press really hard. But it's not nearly so easy to leave a scratch mark on nephrite as on serpentine.

Choose the location carefully, so that the mark is discreet!   
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:37:27 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

guest551
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 06:15:59 am »

Hello Cathy,

I too think it is nephrite rather than serpentine.

However, a simple test to establish this is to carry out a specific gravity test on it.  If nephrite it will record as between 2.90 to 3.02, whereas serpentine will read between 2.40 and 2.80.

The test is easy to carry out, just google specific gravity and it will tell you how to do it.

Kind regards,

Paul
Report Spam   Logged
cshapiro

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 11:03:02 am »

Thanks for the advice! This weekend I will try to figure out how to do a specific gravity test on it. I hesitate to take a knife to it. Sorry for my ignorance but what difference will it make whether it's nephrite or serpentine? Will that help date the bottle?
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
cshapiro

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 05:09:11 pm »

Paul - thanks for the advice. I looked it up and it was easy to do. The specific gravity is between 2.92 and 3.15 so it looks like you were right!
So I guess that means its not an old bottle
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 10:43:56 pm »

Dear Cathy,

The material does not indicate its age. The style of the bottle, the foot, the neck, the hollowing, etc., these all tend to make us assume it is modern.
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Paul - thanks for the advice. I looked it up and it was easy to do. The specific gravity is between 2.92 and 3.15 so it looks like you were right!
So I guess that means its not an old bottle
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:37:57 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

guest551
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 05:51:33 am »

Dear Cathy,

It is essential to try and establish what material the snuff is made from because not only will it identify the snuff in question, it will help you in knowing Nephrite from other stones in future purchases. I know one thing, if I had a snuff that possibly could be jade, old or modern, I couldn't sleep until I had done the basic tests to establish its possible authenticity.

In respect to your specific gravity test, somewhere you are doing it wrong. You said it was between 2.92 and 3.15, this is not an accurate test. Your test should read an exact reading such as 2.92, or any other number. The ranges I quoted, 2.90 to 3.02 were the normal readings for Nephrite because the stone varies in its ingredients, you cannot have a between number.

Suggest you read Google advice again and re-test.

Kind regards,

Paul

Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 06:12:14 am »

It's funny. I usually just know if it is Nephrite, Jadeite, etc.
I received a snuff dish as a gift from Y.F. my last visit to Honolulu, and I was not sure it was Jade.
So I "Asked A Friend"! Like on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire". Grin Roll Eyes
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:38:22 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

guest551
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 06:47:53 am »

Hello Joey,

With your beautiful Jade snuffs you should know, but if ever you are not sure whether a snuff is Jadeite or Nephrite, suggest you choose 50 - 50.  Smiley

Kind regards,

Shabbat Shalom,

Paul
Report Spam   Logged
cshapiro

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 10:35:12 am »

Hi Paul,

The bottle weighed 41 grams. When I submerged it the first time, I got a reading of 14 grams.
I did the math to get specific gravity of 2.92
But then I worried that I may not have gotten all the air out of the bottle so weighed again and this time it weighed 13 grams. That's why I gave the range.
I am working with a kitchen scale, small plastic cup full of water and the only way I could hold onto it with the paper clip was to hook it through the neck and submerge it upside down.
Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
cshapiro

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 10:55:26 am »

I am going to weigh it again today!
But actually it doesn't feel like jade to me. It has a slight iridescence to the surface that is unlike anything I've ever seen. This one for sure needs to go to the GIA for a final determination.
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: