About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:57:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Green Stone Bottle -Jade?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Green Stone Bottle -Jade?  (Read 1806 times)
guest551
« on: July 09, 2016, 05:51:33 am »

Dear Cathy,

It is essential to try and establish what material the snuff is made from because not only will it identify the snuff in question, it will help you in knowing Nephrite from other stones in future purchases. I know one thing, if I had a snuff that possibly could be jade, old or modern, I couldn't sleep until I had done the basic tests to establish its possible authenticity.

In respect to your specific gravity test, somewhere you are doing it wrong. You said it was between 2.92 and 3.15, this is not an accurate test. Your test should read an exact reading such as 2.92, or any other number. The ranges I quoted, 2.90 to 3.02 were the normal readings for Nephrite because the stone varies in its ingredients, you cannot have a between number.

Suggest you read Google advice again and re-test.

Kind regards,

Paul

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: