About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:48:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Old Man Porcelain Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Man Porcelain Snuff Bottle  (Read 951 times)
Luke
Private Boards

« on: July 03, 2016, 02:21:18 pm »

Hey guys,

I picked up this snuff bottle in an antique shop in the UK. Just wondered if you guys could share your opinion. I've seen similar bottles on ebay and know this particular form is very common, but please have a look at the following link and compare the differences. IMO, this bottle is better quality and the colours of the bottle themselves are not nearly as garish(hopefully that shows in the pictures). Anyway is this an older bottle or simply just a better quality copy than the one in the link?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collectible-Old-Handwork-Porcelain-Drawing-Longevity-Immortal-Peach-Snuff-Bottle-/371615602128?hash=item56860415d0:g:DAcAAOSw~OVWvlD9

Thanks

* dude1.jpg (189.79 KB, 800x992 - viewed 41 times.)

* dude2.jpg (209.35 KB, 800x1095 - viewed 28 times.)

* dude3.jpg (170.81 KB, 900x923 - viewed 19 times.)

* dude4.jpg (215.17 KB, 800x1125 - viewed 25 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 10:47:38 pm »

I think very similar to the eBay listing..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:01:54 am »

Hey George, thanks for the reply. To my eye i think there are differences to the moulding itself, the painting, colours used, the detailing etc.. Though the general form is of course very similar...All looks a little more detailed and more refined to me. This was a bottle I bought in the very early days and have never seen this exact version before - always the version in the link I gave. However, maybe it's just me who notices the differences.. Smiley I like the bottle for £25 and is kind of cute I think although the peach his holding looks like a massive pot belly at first glance...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:03:43 am by pookles » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 08:06:04 am »

Sorry, I agree with George.
If you mean  a little older as in a month or two, I could give you that...
   These are totally modern (last 10-15 years, or at least 6 months before you bought it, whichever is earlier).
   There was a small workshop working in Hong Kong in the 1970s and 1980s, who produced figural snuff bottles for sale, and had a studio name which they inscribed on each piece, so that there were no fake Imperial names (yours has Qianlong nianzhi). The quality was superb, and I've seen examples with the mark ground off, and another applied.
Yours is not even from that group.
Ya, it does look like he has a pot belly. Peach is nicer.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 02:17:13 am »

Thanks for the detailed info Joey. Much appreciated. Always nice to gain an insight into the bottles we buy. I like this bottle even though it is new and cheap. Also for sentimental reasons and always had a liking for figurine or object shape bottles. Next time I'll try and post a more interesting bottle Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 05:23:57 am »

Dear 'Pookles' (?),

It is interesting, and would have been a good way to explain how to look for better, older examples. Although I've not been able to explain what to look for in an older, better bottle.
 Roll Eyes Huh
I will try to find examples of the bottles made in the 1970s/1980s, as well as 18th and 19th C. examples. Of the latter, there are three on the cover of Hugh Moss' Chinese Snuff Bottles:5, and figures 49-61 show them and others, dating from ca.1800 to ca.1900+. The small format (9 1/4 in. high X 6 1/4 in. wide, or 23.5cm high X 15.5cm) book was published in May 1969, but is still pretty accurate, for the most part [Some bottles he dates to late 19th are actually late 18th, etc.].

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 06:44:50 am »

Thanks again for the info Joey. I found a copy of that book on Amazon and it's in the post. Another book I own is this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collectors-Book-Snuff-Bottles-Stevens/dp/0834801191/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1467891752&sr=8-7&keywords=snuff+bottle+book

Some interesting examples in there too. Good book in you opinion? There's a double volume book I want to buy that is recommended on here, but is expensive. That one looks very interesting as it seems to goes into detail about old bottles and what distinguishes them from more modern examples. Oh and would be very interesting to see some examples of more modern good quality bottles you mention...

Cheers
Luke Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 09:38:37 am »

The Bob Stevens book was my second book on snuff bottles! It is superb, and even though it is 40 years old  (I got my copy in 1976, hot off the press), the info has by and large stood the test of time.
What is the two volume set? Is it from the Bloch Collection ?  

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: