About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 05:53:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Meeting a new HK Collector / My first glass overlay bottle !

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meeting a new HK Collector / My first glass overlay bottle !  (Read 648 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: July 03, 2016, 06:10:50 am »

Hi  All,

Yesterday  I  had the  great  pleasure to meet Samson Lee in HK ,  a  new  collector and  Forum Member  in HK.  I will  spare  you  the  details but  suffice to  say we  had truly  great  time  together  and  it  turns  out  we  also share a  passion for  1:18   model  cars  as  well  as   snuff bottles.

After  a  few  hours  at my  home  we  went to  Hollywood   Road  to  see  a Ye  Zhongsan bottle  which Samson has  been considering  to  buy  from Arts  of  Asia  ( Peter  Lee),  where  it  seems  there  are  some  genuine  middle  period  bottles  for  sale  at  exceedingly reasonable prices  (US$ 4 - 5 K)   -  Ye  Zhongsan,  Yan Yutian, Zhou  Leyuan  etc  (Not being  an  expert  on middle  period  bottles I hesitate to say more  re  genuineness  and  prices  - perhaps  Joey  with his eagle eye can say more  when he  next  visits  HK ?)

But  while   browsing  Peter  Lee's  shop  one  bottle   caught  my eye  -  an  antique  glass  overlay  bottle.  I was  initially attracted  because  of the  mottled  purple-ish  overall  hue   which I  have  always  loved  in Chinese ceramics, whether  old  or  new .

But then   when I  held  up the  bottle  to  the  light....  WOW !!!  MAGIC !!!

Between  Samson and  me  we  had  just enough  cash to  buy the  bottle  on the  spot

It's  truly great  to meet   fellow  collectors  on the   Forum !

Cheers

Peter

PS:  Geoff  -  the    Chinese  Golden  Yellow  Pheasant  was  out  these  past  few  days  for  its  annual  excursion  to where  it can be   admired  -  THE  most  beautiful  bird  in the   whole  aviary

* CIMG0032.JPG (85.88 KB, 768x957 - viewed 48 times.)

* CIMG0033.JPG (95.35 KB, 768x1010 - viewed 37 times.)

* CIMG0034.JPG (124.66 KB, 706x1024 - viewed 43 times.)

* CIMG0035.JPG (131.76 KB, 746x1024 - viewed 24 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 06:25:57 am »

So very cool that you two got to meet and spend time together !  The shared passion for model cars was a big bonus !

Not to sure about the bottle. Hopefully someone will be able to give you some details. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 06:41:43 am »

Hi George

I will  show the  bottle  to  Jill and  Li Hui  next time  I  meet  them

Peter  Lee   said  it  was  genuine  antique,  but  I   didn't  buy  it  for   that reason. 

I bought  it  just because  it  is   SOOOOO  BEAUTIFUL ! 

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 10:53:51 am »

Dear Peter,

Once again I'd like to say that it had been a true pleasure and excitement to catch up with you yesterday! Thank you so much for giving me the privilege to check out your rich and amazing VMIPB collection! Magnificent!

I'm so glad that you enjoy your purchase, let this bottle be a memorabilia for our first meeting!  Wink

My regards to Mrs. Bentley!

See you again soon!  Smiley

Cheers!
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 10:52:29 am »

Peter, I found a snuff bottle that resembles yours. It's known as the snowstorm overlay glass bottle.

http://www.muwentang.com/Publications/MTCS19.html

* image.jpg (67.1 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 14 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 01:43:29 pm »

Peter, I found a snuff bottle that resembles yours. It's known as the snowstorm overlay glass bottle.

http://www.muwentang.com/Publications/MTCS19.html

Nice find !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 06:42:52 pm »

Hi Samson

Many thanks !  Yes  -  it  looks  identical  to mine  except  for the  shape  of the  neck !

I'm  95%  certain it's  a  genuine  antique  because :

a)  Peter  Lee  does  not  deal in modern  fakes

b)  It would  be  too  much trouble  to fake  such  a  complicated   bottle and  then  sell it  into the  market  at  such  a low  price

Anyway,  it's  certainly  beautiful !

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: