About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:09:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Overlay bubble suffused clear glass snuff bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overlay bubble suffused clear glass snuff bottle  (Read 725 times)
cshapiro

« on: June 30, 2016, 03:36:26 pm »

Hey there,

One of my purchases came today and I would really like a more experienced opinion on it.

Thanks in advance!

* bubbleglassoverlay.jpg (281.78 KB, 1800x1600 - viewed 50 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 10:07:41 pm »

Modern, probably within the past 20 years or so..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:59:48 pm »

Thanks George,

I am anxiously awaiting the books I ordered because it's so hard to find information. This bottle feels heavy for it's size, it has tobacco residue in it, and I thought it was well carved but I don't have anything to compare it to.
I also tried to research the seal on it, but came up with nothing.

The overlay appears to be two colors - a light purple followed by a thin layer of a darker purple. Or maybe it's just one color that was carved thinner in places.

So when you say you think it was made within the last 20 years, would it be considered a reproduction or not?
Also I've been studying the overlay glass bottles on sites like Christie's and besides the provenance, I have no idea how to distinguish the real from the fakes. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 11:38:18 pm »

Hi Cshapiro,

Referring to the seal, I can help you with my understanding of Chinese characters. It's written there "乾隆御製, Qian Long Yu Zhi", which means Qianlong imperial made. Despite so written, as many of our guys always suggest, there're plenty of reproduction samples with seals belonging to the reign of Qing emperors, with Qianlong being the most popular of all.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 03:02:08 am »

So when you say you think it was made within the last 20 years, would it be considered a reproduction or not?
Also I've been studying the overlay glass bottles on sites like Christie's and besides the provenance, I have no idea how to distinguish the real from the fakes. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I would not call it a reproduction, but simply a modern snuff bottle.

There is a topic that was started, but we have not really added a lot to it lately.. http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1911.0.html

This back issue,October 2002 Arts of Asia magazine has a great article for seeing the differences between old and new overlays..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 03:41:26 am »

Hi cathy,

This is definitely a modern bottle - that's to say made in the last 25 years or so.

I acquired several of this type in the mid-1990s, very cheaply, and knowing them to be modern. I especially liked the bubble-suffused ones, like your example, which is why I bought them. But once you have handled a genuine old bottle, you will see the difference immediately. Of course, it's much harder to make the distinction if you only have photos to look at.

The link George gives includes some of the bottles I bought in the 1990s. While I hope you can enjoy your purchases for what they are, you should be aware of the bad experience I had. All of the bubble-suffused glass bottles began disintegrating 4-5 years after purchasing them. The fine cracks got larger and more numerous in time, and now they are ready to throw away. Other members of this forum have had similar experiences. The glass is unstable due to being poorly and hastily manufactured.

I hope this does NOT happen to yours, but be warned!

Tom
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:45:09 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 04:04:37 am »

Here is another one of mine, showing how the cracks looked around 5 years ago.
Even worse now!   Shocked 

* SB036 1709-lo.jpg (75.43 KB, 301x480 - viewed 22 times.)

* SB036 1719-lo.jpg (66.24 KB, 301x199 - viewed 19 times.)

* SB036 1720-lo.jpg (66.96 KB, 299x211 - viewed 12 times.)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:12:30 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 09:36:26 am »

Cathy,

The bottle is definitely a two color overlay; lavender and a darker purple.  It's very distinctly seen at the mouth of the bottle.  I too would evaluate this to be a modern bottle.  The reason for such a judgment is for a number of observations.

1) Color usage is more contemporary.
2) Newer design style.
3) Bottle shape is more contemporary.
4) Flat base inside the foot ring.  Many older bottles would have a convex shaped base inside the foot ring that would follow or blend with the contour of the bottle shape.
5) Lack of wear, abrasions, rubbed areas, etc., that often dull areas of the surface or create a satin finish or a use patina.   

I would not consider this a fake or a copy, because it is a newer design created for a contemporary collector in a similar manner as new interior painted bottles.

Hope this helps a little more, Charll
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:35:24 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

cshapiro

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 10:23:49 am »

Wow what a wealth of information! Thank you so much! I sure hope mine doesn't crack and fall apart!
Thanks for the translation, the excellent clues and the link - I will study these
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: