About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 11:09:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Help needed to identify this bottle / Edited.. ID Yong Shou T'ien

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed to identify this bottle / Edited.. ID Yong Shou T'ien  (Read 10886 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: July 15, 2011, 11:49:37 am »

Hi  Pat

Wow  !  That's  real  pure  gold  history. Never  heard that before  in such detail. Where  did you  get that from?

Zhang  Wen Tang  is   off  my  DB radar  screen  completely.  No record  whatsoever   ( unless  it's an alternativ  english spelling  :  check  your  copy  of   my    DB in case there's a  match somewhere)

Is that  because  he belongs to the  late  Middle  School ?

I would be interested to    research this  period  in the  longer term , but  only out  of  academic  interest  , not to collect seriously

BTW:  there's a  comment  by Max  below  about the  need  to  FEEL   an  artefact . This  echoes  something  Ian Hardy once  wrote to  me   about  Zhou Leyuan bottles  :  he    said   he needs to  FEEL them  to know  if they are  real  or  not  (something  about the   quality / density  of the glass)

I reckon  I'm pretty much  au fair  with anything painted  post  2000, but   even so   I could  be fooled  by a  poor  quality  photo *  . And  anyway, anything painted  post  2000 can be  checked with the  artist  , so ... SO  WHAT  ?

*  One  modern  artist  I greatly  admire  is  Sun  Honglin who  suddenly  developed a  completely new  style  about  2  years  ago  which I am collecting  voraciously , as also  are   a    few other  top Chinese  collectors .  In     4.2010  I  visited  Sun Hong Lin's   home and  saw    a new series  in partly-painted   form, and agreed to   buy  3  of them   " as then  seen"  .  Cost was    US$2K  / bottle   "friendship  price"    approx   .     Sun Honglin's  parting words  were  " my style  is  unique - no-one can    copy it ".   And  I believed  him,  never  having ever   EVER  seen a  bottle  painted  like  his .  Imagine    therfore my  shock  when   10 minutes  later  I walked  in to  Wang Xisan's  Hengshui  Museun  shop  further  down the   street  and  there  in the   student  artist    section  was   a bottle  that  I would  have  sworn was painted  by Sun Honglin  if  the  signature  has  been  his . It  was  in fact painted  by a  student  artist  of  Wang Xisan  , copying  Sun Honglin, and I bought  for  only US$40  just to teach myself a  lesson  

Cheers  Peter

PS :  This Forum  is  really  turning up   some  amazing  interactions and  info.  We  may not  always   agree and  from  time to time  maybe  we  must  agree to   differ, but  MAN  !    do  we  learn  a lot   more  by  open interaction  !  

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: