About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 10:46:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Help needed to identify this bottle / Edited.. ID Yong Shou T'ien

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed to identify this bottle / Edited.. ID Yong Shou T'ien  (Read 10850 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: July 14, 2011, 08:31:39 pm »

Hi  Max

I  take back my last    comment  !   Sorry   !!

I  just examined the  first   Yong  Shou Tian  bottle  on Bill's  site, which   is  taken  from   CIPMA (  Wang Xisan  editor)  and so certianly  genuine.  The  "shou" character  is  written just like   the    "shou" on your  bottle  in   simplified  / abbreviated    form

Maybe some  simplified  characters  used  after  1950   were  based  on  commonly accepted abbreviations   from the  past, so  I was  wrong to state  categorically that  ALL simplified  characters   were  only invented  after  1950

As to whether the   handwriting  is the  same,  you  can   judge for  yourself.  Follow the  link below to  Bill's  site  (   you can also  navigate to Bill's  site   from the  sidebar on this  forum)  and then  enlarge the  pic  ( which  is  in fact a  scan I made  from CIPMA  which  I  sent to  Bill) .  But then  also  scroll  on  to the  right, and  see a lot more  Yong Shou Tian  bottles  from various sources of Bill ,  and  you  will  even  see a  pic  which assembles   several   "signatures"  of  Yong Shou Tian,   and  Bill  says  he wonders  if    they  are  all    by THE  Yong Shou Tian , or whether  some  are  later  copies  ( but then,  why  would a  later   copy artist  copy  the  styel  but  be so silly as  to  use  the   wrong    character  style   ? That  makes  no sense)

I  don't collect  Middle  period bottles  so I cannot comment on whether the  style  is  correct  for this  artist.

Cheers   Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: