About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:18:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Please help me identify this material - is this the so-called calcified jade?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help me identify this material - is this the so-called calcified jade?  (Read 881 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« on: May 30, 2016, 09:21:37 pm »

I just did a specific gravity test with my crude apparatus and the result was around 2.40. Not high enough for jade but that excludes mammoth ivory (1.77 specific gravity).

Hi Marcos,

The material which Joey thought it could be was fossilized mammoth tooth, which is NOT ivory, but petrified tooth. I have handled a genuine old mammoth tooth bottle, and found it to be both cold to the touch (like stone) and heavy.

But reading the follow-on posts, I agree that it may not be jade at all. George's suggestion of heat-treated chrysocolla would explain the blue residue on the interior.

Tom
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:24:53 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: