About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:43:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Are these 19th ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are these 19th ?  (Read 593 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: May 19, 2016, 11:53:13 pm »

Trying to sort out these type of bottles.  I am not so good with porcelain, but am curious if these are 19th for sure..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121611590221?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:04:39 am »

George

Just like you I am not good with porcelain but somehow I don't think they are. I have a few of this design near the neck and I always wondered myself...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 04:00:53 am »

Dear George, beware. During last time that Joey visited me, I just did ask his opinion about this type of bottles. Until not long ago these bottles where not common, but since about one year or two I have noted a great quantity of this bottles everywhere, on ebay and on the antique market here. Cylindrical body, under glaze blue and copper red, and that strange T shaped motif around the neck (I think this is what Pat was referring to), and often some strange decoration on the base. Too many with the same features, I think better to stay away from them.
Kind regards
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 08:08:47 am »

Thank you both...  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 09:33:15 am »

George,

I agree with Giovanni that you have to be real careful with this type of bottle.  The one's that have been in collections for a while tend to be attributed to the last quarter of the 19th century and into the Republican Period.  However, a number of these are now showing up as Giovanni mention, and many if not all, in my opinion appear to be newer bottles.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:37:36 am »

Thanks Charll..

One nice reference I use is an article within Sept/Oct 1990 Arts of Asia magazine..

As Giovanni pointed out, those T shaped motifs.. Although there is additional design along with the T's, and also under glaze blue and copper red, and even date them to 18th century ( pic below )..

One thing that bothers me is that I see these in pairs a lot.. I picked up a couple a while back. I must admit, that the two I have do seem to have some age. The clear glaze is worn more than any other I have held, which is not many..  The inside of the throat is glazed a little less than 1/4" down into the neck..  Overall, the bottle appears, for lack of a better word, "dirty" beneath the clear glaze.

* porcelain.jpg (115.76 KB, 298x455 - viewed 37 times.)

* porcelain2.jpg (157.45 KB, 504x536 - viewed 33 times.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:10:59 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 12:44:59 am »

Here is a current eBay listing that has the similar "T" shaped collar, although reversed..  Again, to try and sort these out, this looks 19th to me.. The quality of painting seems real nice ..

Comments ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252421864158?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

* ebay12.jpg (83.41 KB, 353x666 - viewed 28 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 09:21:13 am »

Dear George,

Up until the last few years these blue & red underglaze bottles from late 19th to early 20th century were usually very reasonably priced.  There were always fakes around, but not at all convincing for most collectors.  The following is an example of a poor fake:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-Chinese-Underglaze-red-Blue-and-White-Porcelain-Snuff-Bottle-/321993107685?hash=item4af848e8e5:g:0JEAAOSwX~dWq7VS

Lately good original examples can sell for up to $1,200.00 and sometimes more, so there has been a new wave of dangerously good fakes.

I would agree with Giovanni and Charll's opinion of the first two you posted and heed their advice.  In my opinion they are not a pair and the seller is a generalist with no other snuff bottles or even anything else Chinese.  There is a good chance that they are genuine, but better to be safe than sorry.

The latest example with the chipped foot is okay in my opinion.

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: