About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:12:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Another porcelain bottle - twin bottle decorated with roosters and chicks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another porcelain bottle - twin bottle decorated with roosters and chicks.  (Read 859 times)
marcos

« on: May 04, 2016, 11:58:36 am »

Hi,

I would like to share a twin porcelain bottle with two roosters and five chicks.

Now, I understand that the two roosters standing next to each other may allude to promotion (官上加官 - Guān shàng jiā guān - "may you achieve rank upon rank") as it sounds like 冠上加冠 - Guān shàng jiā guān - "cock´s comb next to cock´s comb" (?).

The five chicks probably represent the five precepts of buddhism or taoism.

The plants depicted on the decoration also are likely to complement the rebus, but I cannot identify them.

Thanks for looking,

Regards,

Marcos

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 01:17:14 pm »

Dear Marcos,

This looks to be Guangxu, but I could be wrong. One of the plants looks to be Millet, or grain (sui, or year). The one with the reddish grain. The other I can't figure out.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 04:32:42 am »

Dear Marcos,
I agree with Joey, Guangxu or even a bit earlier. I don't know the name of the other plant, but I believe that it must be some aquatic plant. I have more often seen that plant on Japanese ceramics.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 09:50:43 am »

Dear Giovanni,

I was tending toward ca. 1866 (after Jingdezhen, destroyed by Taiping in 1855, was restored) - 1900, but figured it was easier to say Guangxu....  Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

marcos

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 10:23:28 am »

Dear Joey and Giovanni,

Thanks for helping dating the bottle.

I understand that the Imperial kilns in Jingdezhen were destroyed during the Taiping Rebellion and rebuilt in 1866. Now, were the private kilns also destroyed? Also, did they produce porcelain snuff bottles as well?

Thanks a lot,

Marcos
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 06:38:29 pm »

The WHOLE city was destroyed, and all the inhabitants murdered or taken away in bondage by the Taiping criminal gangs.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: