About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 12:12:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

nicely painted bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: nicely painted bottle  (Read 519 times)
DDbySnS

« on: April 14, 2020, 02:32:41 pm »

Hello all,

I hope everyone is safe and well.

It has been a while since I posted.  I saw this pretty bottle on ebay and couldn't resist. I'm curious about the age. I know think it is early 20th century. The shape is like a meiping vase, but the dimensions are a little different. The bottle is approximately 2.25 inches tall. There is a mark on the base, which I haven't had a chance to research.

Any ideas on age and meaning of the mark will be greatly appreciated.  The pictures aren't great so please let me know if better ones are needed.

Thanks,
Shea

* IMG_8413.jpg (75.44 KB, 640x480 - viewed 27 times.)

* IMG_8415.jpg (65.6 KB, 480x640 - viewed 19 times.)

* IMG_8416.jpg (63.2 KB, 480x640 - viewed 23 times.)

* IMG_8417.jpg (53.34 KB, 640x480 - viewed 32 times.)

* IMG_8411.jpg (59.4 KB, 480x640 - viewed 25 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 02:59:15 pm »

Hi Shea.. .

I think it is more likely last half of 20th century.. I think you can categorize the shape as "baluster".

I think it is Qin Shi Huang painted on your bottle, but I am not positive.. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell you for sure, and as well help you with the characters on the base..

Thank you for sharing Shea !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
DDbySnS

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 03:09:25 pm »

Thank you, George. I tried using the book by Tommy Eklof's book for dating; but at least I was in the right century. Smiley
I'm going to Google your translation now to see what I come up with.
Thanks again!
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 09:01:29 pm »

I'm going to Google your translation now to see what I come up with.

Qin Shi Huang was not a translation for the characters on the base, it is a guess for the person that is painted on the bottle..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
DDbySnS

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 08:15:21 am »

Lol, I figured that out after I googled it yesterday. Thanks again.
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 08:36:38 pm »

Though if the first Emperor of a united China HAD painted the bottle, that would be very impressive!

Reminds me of 1988, at the San Francisco convention where I exhibited my 49 Martin Schoen Collection bottles NOT FOR SALE, in
the Dealers' Room. That was when I had the 2 Israeli 'Naval Commandos' protecting my display case. Usually, the regular security are basically just 'mall cops', and would faint from any serious threat.

I had over US$1.5 million in snuff bottles on display, and was emotionally invested in them - there were 3 which I'd wanted to own since I was 13! They were illustrated in the Lilla Perry book, and were amongst my favourites. I did NOT want them stolen or damaged, if I could help it.
A veteran English dealer, when he asked me why I'd brought the 2 Israeli ex-soldiers from a very Elite unit, to guard my display, admitted that for him,
if his display case of bottles for sale were burgled or destroyed, he'd simply have, in effect, sold his whole stock, and be re-imbursed!
That would not have pleased me....

{I must interject that, while most of the hired security are the equivalent of 'Soldier of Fortune'-reading mall cop types,  there was a really impressive   }{hunk doing the security at the 1980 New Orleans convention. We became 'buddies', and on the Sunday after the convention, he and his girlfriend [sigh} {:Smiley Shocked Grin] took me to Metairie LA, to this great hamburger place, between visits  to 2 Mall antique shows [the antique and curio dealers set up booths  }
{in the wide walking areas of the malls.].                                                                                                                                                               }
{I polished off 3 open-faced quarter pounders with beef chili on top! My host, 25 in 1980, was 6 ft. 5 inches [196 cm], 312 lbs. [142 kg] of solid muscle} {and an ex-marine; I was just over 23 1/2, 5 ft. 8 inches [172cm], and about 148 lbs. [67 kg], and not very muscular.                                                }
{ His girlfriend said that he considered ketchup a vegetable, not a condiment!                                                                                                           }

Ed Combatalade Jnr, a [then] very elderly, but very ignorant, collector, came by and tried to 'trash-talk' my bottles on display,
including my Black Enamel with Imperial Tree Peonies [Mudang, in Chinese], considered the finest enamel on glass in the world.
I was talking to John Ford, and Mr. C. Jnr came by with a crappy modern IPSB in a tobacco tin!
He said he couldn't understand all the fuss about my bottles  on display [the ex-Schoen collection bottles].

He pulled out his bottle, quite poorly painted with a portrait of the Yongzheng Emperor.

He then said, "I think this bottle by Yong Cheng is just as good as anything in this case!"
At which point, John Ford said that was why he had the bottles he had, and I had the bottles I had.

I told him that every person SHOULD value their own treasures highly.
And I couldn't help adding, "Wow! A bottle by Yongzheng! That IS rare...

Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:22:50 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

DDbySnS

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 08:12:53 am »

Hi Joey!

I felt pretty silly after I googled it. But I learned something, so it still helped.
I will post another bottle that I really like soon. It is also 20th C, not sure if it is early or late, but it was sold as 19th. I still bought it because it was affordable and I like it.  Most bottles I like, I cannot afford. So, I haven't done much collecting lately.

Your story is pretty funny, btw.

Take care,
Shea
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 09:13:58 am »

Dear Shea,

No reason to feel silly, unless you were:
1. A veteran collector,    and
2. An expert on Chinese Art,  and
3. An expert on Chinese History.

My guess was that you weren't  any of the three.
But a word to the wise:
A. Google FIRST
B. Check out all the categories in the Forum which apply.

Then, you WON'T look silly, and you WILL learn an awful lot, and might even find the answer.
I'm glad you liked the story. I actually rewrote it, to be a bit clearer.

Best,
joey
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:24:25 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 03:33:03 pm »

Hi Joey!

I felt pretty silly after I googled it.

No need Shea....

Heck, I could tell you some whoppers that show me truly bordering between silly and straight up stupid !  Cheesy 
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 05:02:37 am »

And so could I...
Joey

Hi Joey!

I felt pretty silly after I googled it.

No need Shea....

Heck, I could tell you some whoppers that show me truly bordering between silly and straight up stupid !  Cheesy 
Report Spam   Logged

DDbySnS

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 08:25:22 am »

Thanks, Joey and George, for the advice and reassurance. It is appreciated!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: