About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:17:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Question about cinnabar boxes and other cinnabar items

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about cinnabar boxes and other cinnabar items  (Read 2068 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 01:19:08 pm »

Dear Ilene,

These are NOT the better items? They look very well carved to me. I was thinking that they might be from a screen, though they could be from a bed.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

ileney

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 01:35:24 pm »

Yes, I love these panels; I was pretty excited when I saw them amongst the silk tassels and brass and ceramic baubles.  I hadn’t thought of the possibility of them coming from a screen. That makes sense. I don’t really know that the other items are nicer or as good. I haven’t seen the other items and my parents have no real interest in Asian art ( and once sold a spectacular Mandarin court robe in fine condition and a beautiful painting on ivory by a listed artist  for a couple hundred dollars before I could tell them not to, all  because “someone” told them “kimonos” and “miniature paintings”  were a dime a dozen,) so I can’t rely upon their perceptions. They packed the other stuff in their storage closet so I guess I’ll see what they have when I see them in December or January!
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 03:11:01 pm »

Dear Ilene,

Where are they, in Florida?  The other Jewish homeland with oranges...  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 11:23:50 pm »

They are on the West coast - Naples- which seems to mostly attract people from the Midwest. I suspect they will eventually move back North. They love Manhattan and New England and miss the seasons.
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 03:13:35 am »

Dear all,

I too must have missed out on this interesting ' resurrected ' thread started by Ileney in August 02, the week my wife and I were busy preparing for our long vacation with our son in Perth. Well, it is better late than never !

Dear Ileney,

Thanks for sharing your collection. I found that you have a nice collection of the panels and it appears to me that the old-leaf painting applied to the carvings are still intact . Occasionally, I also acquired such items to enhance my appreciation of Chinese wood carvings. These panels could have been stripped from window frames or indoor partitions in Chinese households. I got a carpenter to make mirror frames out of such panels, one of them still serves my family well till this day ( more than 20 years already ) because we look at ourselves one last time before leaving our house everyday  Cheesy Cheesy.

Dear Frank,

As a Chinese who loves my own cultural stuff, I like the ' experiential ' aspect of collecting works of art ( be it antique or new )  more than the actual acquisition of the objects. The hunting journey and at times how to bring the ' hunt ' back home without arousing my wife's queries is more exciting than showing the acquisition to my wife at an opportune time later on  Cheesy Cheesy

Regards,
Inn Bok
Singapore

* IMG_8986.JPG (115.92 KB, 612x816 - viewed 53 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 03:49:46 am »

Ilene and Inn Bok,

Beautiful panels. Thank you both for sharing. I have always been attracted to wood carvings, and look out for them in Thai antique markets. But I have never seen anything as good as the ones posted here.

Ilene, some of your panels appear to be trapezoidal - at least the lower edge is slanted. This would be consistent with Inn Bok's comment about maybe coming from an indoor partition, or room divider with an arched opening. These would be from the side, near where the arch springs. Are any of your panels carved both sides?

Tom

Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 04:13:36 am »

Tom,

I have not yet seen one panels with carvings on both sides ( maybe I have not seen enough ! ). Some which I have seen are ' through-cut 3-D carvings ' where you see the same subject matter from either sides of, say, part of a bed frame.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 04:21:50 am »

Inn Bok,

That is what I meant. The cut-out is not flat - it is in 3D.
Both sides are 'A' sides (to use a term from the age of vinyl records!).

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 04:47:27 am »

Tom,

The piece I posted is not a 3-D cut-out carving with a piece of backing. It was carved into a flat piece of material, so only one side and the remaining material forming the base is not quite well polished.
The ones with 'A-side' from both front and reverse are typically found on partitions and bed frames.
Did I get you right ?

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2017, 05:15:54 am »

Inn Bok,

Yes, perfectly understood!
That is why I asked Ilene the question. Her panels may be 2-sided, one side being hidden when they were framed.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

ileney

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 09:28:51 am »

Hi Tom. All of mine are viewable only from one side. Inn Bok, that mirror is absolutely spectacular. What a fabulous design idea and so beautifully executed! I have a large blank wall, so I will probably just arrange them all in a pattern the way they are, but I love what you did with yours.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2017, 05:14:07 pm »

Dear Inn Bok,

That is a gorgeous mirror!
Well done.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]