About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:10:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Does anyone know what material is that? Could it be carnelian?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know what material is that? Could it be carnelian?  (Read 592 times)
marcos

« on: April 13, 2016, 04:22:13 pm »

Dear All,

I am having a hard time figuring out what this Kwan-yin snuff bottle is made of.

I had suspected it was coral, but I did the lemon test and no bubbles formed on the surface. I measured the bottleīs specific gravity (in a crude apparatus so the results may not be 100% correct) and I got something around 2.60 (which could be agate, chalcedony or carnelian).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

Marcos

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 04:40:53 pm »

Dear Marcos,

George and Charll are the best in minerals, in my opinion. I know I DON'T know what it is, though it is a modern bottle, probably made in the last 30 years.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 10:01:19 pm »

George and Charll are the best in minerals, in my opinion. I know I DON'T know what it is, though it is a modern bottle, probably made in the last 30 years.

Marcos,

I think Joey made the above statement just to get me to bite with an opinion on this bottle.  I feel the both George and Tom L. have much better grasp on stone bottles than I.  Though I do have a modest mineral collection.  That said, I will takes Joey's call to respond.

The photos have insufficient resolution and clarity to allow one to make judgment on this bottle in my opinion.  Example, given the uniformity in base color, the sheen, and what appears to be a possible chip along the foot rim and mouth, I would have said that this appears to be a glass bottle in making a speculation based on the photos alone.

Sorry that I'm not providing much help, Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 11:28:45 pm »

Dear Charll,

That was a good call as glass specific gravity is 2.4-2.8

Dear Marcos,

Simply by holding the bottle, I am sure you can tell if it is glass or agate(carnelian).
Do you notice any inclusions or flaws? I have attached a 5.1cm carnelian bottle from Claar collection for your comparison.
The maiden design looks to be molded rather than carved. (I could be wrong as I see the all the rounded corners.)

Cheers,
YT

* CarnelianG.jpg (71.5 KB, 776x604 - viewed 37 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

marcos

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 11:02:57 am »

Hi Charll and YT,

Thanks a lot for your help and photos.

I think you are right, it is very likely to be glass as I couldnīt see any inclusions and the maiden does not appear to have been carved.

Warmest Regards,

Marcos

Report Spam   Logged
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 08:17:31 pm »

Hi Marcos,

I will vote it a glass imitating red coral snuff bottles, I have seen some similar bottle, but most of them have some little bubble holes on the surface, yours don't have any. Also, I will vote the flowers being carved .

Steven

* 48753-01.jpg (113.89 KB, 1044x950 - viewed 33 times.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:19:07 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 05:00:03 am »

Dear Charll,

I know that Tom, Pat and especially Steven, all know their minerals well also, but I have gotten the impression that you and George (And Rick, who is a gemologist board-certified by the GIA), are the best in identifying minerals. It might just be me.
     But with my Asperger's, if I wanted to get you to 'weigh in', I'd write, "Charll, what do you think?"
I'm not that subtle.  Grin Wink Roll Eyes
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Marcos,

I think Joey made the above statement just to get me to bite with an opinion on this bottle.  I feel the both George and Tom L. have much better grasp on stone bottles than I.  Though I do have a modest mineral collection.  That said, I will takes Joey's call to respond.

The photos have insufficient resolution and clarity to allow one to make judgment on this bottle in my opinion.  Example, given the uniformity in base color, the sheen, and what appears to be a possible chip along the foot rim and mouth, I would have said that this appears to be a glass bottle in making a speculation based on the photos alone.

Sorry that I'm not providing much help, Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 12:08:43 am »

The maiden design looks to be molded rather than carved. (I could be wrong as I see the all the rounded corners.)

Cheers,
YT

My best guess is also glass to imitate coral, and agree with YT that it is molded with floral design in same mold, then the motif lightly touched up by hand. Yet I see some areas to the bottle that were not touched up. Like the top of mouth, and an area at the base of the bottle.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: