About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 05:05:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Curious new jasper bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious new jasper bottle  (Read 337 times)
ileney

« on: April 06, 2016, 10:11:27 pm »

WARNING! Looking directly at the bottles below may be hazardous to your health. Symptoms of direct eye contact may include dizziness, nausea, ringing in ears, fainting, or an intense desire to smash your computer screen. Bottles are best viewed from a distance and out of the corner of your eye. You can then tell yourself that you actually did not see them and go back to what you were doing.

1) Bottle 1, the quartz mama and baby fish,  just arrived and is monstrously heavy. I thought snuffs were little lightweight things you put in your pocket and possibly rubbed for good luck. Sometimes I drill them and string them on chains as pendants or as large beads. This behemoth arrived weighing nearly half a pound and with a big chip in the fin of the littler fish. It is 3.25" by 2.75" by 2.75" and is carved out of quartz that is heavily included and has a few rutile hair strands as well. The rice paper and bamboo stick for the spoon fell into the bottle and are jiggling around in there, but I can't get them out. I doubt there was ever a spoon. I guess this might be a few years old? Why would anyone make something like this? Why did I buy it? It was under $10.

2) Bottle 2, the agate leaf, was bought a while ago. I liked the pattern of the stone, but in pictures, I could not see the carving clearly. I feel the carving really takes away from it. Also, the polish on the stone is a little uneven. Maybe I will just grind off that carving if I am feeling ambitious at some point and hope it is not prone to cracks.

3) Bottle 3 arrived in the mail and was not jade, as advertised, or jasper, as I hoped, at all. It was glass. Cheap, nasty glass. I contacted the seller who agreed to refund most of my money. Don't cry for me. I only paid $5.5o for it. However, that was much too much. I planned to drill it as a bead but it was so hideous I immediately lost it somewhere in the house. It's laying in wait, I am convinced, eager to pop out and scare me when I least expect it.  I found a similar one on ebay (but the seller truthfully identifies it as glass), so I've copied his picture here. Picture this same bottle- made of worse quality glass.

4) Bottle 4 is cloisonne. It is rubbish. Even drilling it as a bead will not save it from looking like rubbish, I fear, but that is its' destiny.

5) Bottle 5 is the worst of all. It is resin, as you can see. For some reason Buddha seems to have children crawling on him and a snarl on his face. You would too if anyone depicted you so poorly. It may be too heavy to be made into a pendant and besides, who would buy it? But again, under $10, so no big loss.

* IMG_1986.jpg (89.23 KB, 640x480 - viewed 31 times.)

* IMG_1982.JPG (63.2 KB, 640x480 - viewed 30 times.)

* monkey.png (103.25 KB, 353x353 - viewed 26 times.)

* IMG_1991.jpg (100.18 KB, 480x640 - viewed 24 times.)

* IMG_1987.jpg (114.99 KB, 480x640 - viewed 22 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: