About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:52:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Rhodonite snuff bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhodonite snuff bottle  (Read 424 times)
Luke
Private Boards

« on: April 06, 2016, 05:56:56 am »

Hi, I picked this bottle up on my travels in Spain. It wasn't expensive - i bought on a whim, because the material was unusual and interesting. I've researched rhodonite a little since and have found out it is not an expensive material, but I haven't seen many snuff bottles carved out of it either.

Anyway, the dealer dated this bottle 1920ish, but said he wasn't sure really. My own opinion is probably about the same. The bottle is hollowed out, not just a drill hole down inside, but i'd say it is not well hollowed out either going by the heavy weight of the bottle. The carving is somewhat crude, but after looking for a while I could make out the scene depicted... the spoon i was told was ivory - what is the hole in the spoon for?

* IMG_1404.jpg (205.59 KB, 800x960 - viewed 39 times.)

* IMG_1406.jpg (169.38 KB, 800x808 - viewed 37 times.)

* IMG_1407.jpg (122.51 KB, 800x600 - viewed 29 times.)

* IMG_1408.jpg (204.11 KB, 800x1083 - viewed 28 times.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 05:58:38 am by pookles » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:01:37 am »

Hi Pookles,
I bought a number of bottles made of similarly unusual and attractive stones in the early 1990s. They came from a Shanghai based workshop that had a retail outlet in Hong Kong. 
The overall shape, foot rim, neck and other details of your bottle are so similar that it could even be a product of the same workshop.
Irrespective of that, it is an appealing looking bottle, made from a very striking material.
I have no idea what the hole in the spoon is for.
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 10:00:00 am »

The black on pink really is a striking material..  I think more closer in age to the same type of bottles Tom mentions from the 90's.

Very nice how the carver managed a fishing boat on water tucked into the black manganese landscape in traditional form.

Thanks for sharing it Pookles..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 11:38:22 am »

Thanks guys. feels nice in the hand. Heavy as I say. I wonder if the hole in the spoon helps with extra suction when sniffing snuff. 

Wattana - interesting you’ve seen very similar bottles. Sounds like could be the same workshop as you say.

George - yep I actually like crudeness of the carving and the way the carver has nicely integrated the scene with the rock.

The only reason I really thought the bottle may be 1920-1940ish was because of the ivory spoon(it appears to be ivory to my eye)  - of course I understand the spoons can often be replaced. Also, I knew it must be a later bottle because these types of materials I have read were generally not used for snuff bottles pre 1870ish. Is there some feature of the bottle that inclines you to agree with Wattana? The shape, foot rim?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:42:05 am by pookles » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 03:26:10 pm »

Is there some feature of the bottle that inclines you to agree with Wattana? The shape, foot rim?

All of the above...

The bottle overall in shape, size, and carving, along with foot rim, etc, all tell Tom's dating.

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 11:07:41 am »

Thanks for the info guys.

I've found it hard to find in-depth snuff bottle guidance/reference. I have some books, but there are some books i'd like to buy that you recommend on the forum. Just hoping to pick them up for a good deal online...
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 04:02:06 pm »

Maybe the hole in the spoon is to help the owner cut down on his snuffing!  Grin Roll Eyes
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: