About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 07:44:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Zhao Zhiyun

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zhao Zhiyun  (Read 825 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: March 25, 2016, 10:10:11 pm »

Bought one painted by her and curious if anyone knows if she is still painting ?

http://snuffbottlecollector.com/zhao_zhi_yun/zhao_zhi_yun_00.htm
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 04:32:00 am »

Dear George,

I don't know. I will ask Jill & LI Hui.
What's the date on your bottle? If it is 2016, that's a good clue right there.  Roll Eyes Grin
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 10:30:51 am »

It says 2003 on the box. If the date is different than that on the bottle, can not make it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291719740900?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 11:40:20 am »

Dear George,

If you turn to your copy of CIPMA, to the preface in English, dated August 2005; and drop down to the second last paragraph, to the second last sentence, you will see the statement that "...more than 40,000 persons..." were doing inside painting at that time.

I will ask Jill and Li Hui and get back to you.
Best,
Joey

It says 2003 on the box. If the date is different than that on the bottle, can not make it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291719740900?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 03:39:20 pm »

George,

If you have archived any of David Osborne's Snuff Bottle Club sales you see a number of bottles by Zhao Zhiyun.  Below are a few other examples of her work, and the last dated bottle sold by David Osborne appears to be 2010. 

Here is some of that information provided through David's emails:
Here is a bottle from a long time favourite artist of mine. I first met her in 2000, my first visit to Hengshui city, when she arrived side-saddle on a bicycle, peddled by her husband Du Qing Tao, for a supper at a restaurant. They were married the same day and as the custom she still wore her red wedding dress. The dinner was given for them by Mr. Wang Xisan who toasted the young couple. By this time both were among the top artists at the Xisan Academy and continue to paint today. Du Qing Tao is of course one of the finest artists in China. (David Osborne)
On my first visit to Hengshui City in 2000 the air crackled with loud retorts from fireworks as thousands of Chinese got married. It was the Year of the Dragon with a difference for this event would not come around again for hundreds of years. It was the year of the Golden Dragon according to the Chinese astronomical tables and a truly auspicious year to get married.
One of these young couples was Du Qing Tao and Zhao Zhi Yun, already making a name for themselves in the world of inside painting and they were married during my visit. A couple of years later these two artists were catching the world on fire with their painting both in China and also with our Membership. Zhao Zhi Yun could paint the most detailed Chinese Ladies and Du Qing Tao with more versatility could paint almost anything. I made a request for a few bottles painted by both these talented artists and here is one of them. I call it 'Chinese Fantasy' as that was what I was told when I asked the story behind the pictures. In this bottle ZZY painted the Ladies and DQT painted the Goats and the Dragon. (David Osborne)

Du Qingtao, who is married Zhao Zhiyun, has been one of my favorite artists over the years.  As such I have a more than a few bottles by Zhao Zhiyun, Du Qingtao, and their jointly painted works. 

Charll

Charll 

* Meeting_2010zzy.jpg (366.74 KB, 1025x1735 - viewed 35 times.)

* Daughter of Dragon King_2009zzy.jpg (202.57 KB, 755x1303 - viewed 30 times.)

* Traditional Ladies_2007zzy.jpg (264.6 KB, 1096x1359 - viewed 30 times.)

* Mulan_2006zzy.jpg (226.13 KB, 797x1058 - viewed 32 times.)

* Nv-wa Weaving the Heaven_2005zzy.jpg (319.35 KB, 895x1199 - viewed 31 times.)

* Chinese Fantasy_2003dqt&zzy.jpg (295.48 KB, 848x1130 - viewed 38 times.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 03:43:40 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 04:44:19 pm »

If you have archived any of David Osborne's Snuff Bottle Club sales you see a number of bottles by Zhao Zhiyun.  Below are a few other examples of her work, and the last dated bottle sold by David Osborne appears to be 2010. 

Will wait until this one arrives to take better pics, but this Zhao Zhiyun bottle sure seems to shows a Wang Xisan influence for horses ( ref A New Look ).  Overall, the paintings on both sides of this seem much different than the Osborne examples.

Just missed the second bottle the seller was offering, and believe it was Du Qingtao painted.
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 06:28:29 pm »

George,

When I saw this one on ebay it looked like a typical work of Zhao Zhiyun, and likely matches up well with other bottles by this artist that were sold by David Osborne.  I would not be surprised if this bottle you just purchase originally came through David.  Here closer look at the Mulan bottle in one of my first postings and query's to the Forum.  I look back on these early postings and I'm amazed as to how far my learning curve has come since than. 

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,566.msg3013.html#msg3013

Great line work, detail, and color use are much more vibrant than what David's photos are portraying. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 07:55:29 pm »

George,

When I saw this one on ebay it looked like a typical work of Zhao Zhiyun, and likely matches up well with other bottles by this artist that were sold by David Osborne.  I would not be surprised if this bottle you just purchase originally came through David.  Here closer look at the Mulan bottle in one of my first postings and query's to the Forum.  I look back on these early postings and I'm amazed as to how far my learning curve has come since than. 

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,566.msg3013.html#msg3013

Great line work, detail, and color use are much more vibrant than what David's photos are portraying. 

Charll

Ah yes.. Certainly see the resemblance now Charll ..  Man, oh man... That is an especially nice thread from back early days of the forum ! 
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 04:27:57 pm »

For future reference, here are a couple of pics once it arrived.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: