About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 16, 2024, 12:40:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Sharing a Shandong (I think) Inside Painted overlay glass

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharing a Shandong (I think) Inside Painted overlay glass  (Read 1173 times)
marcos

« on: March 24, 2016, 11:24:03 am »

Dear All,

Sharing an unsigned Shandong School Landscape inside painted bottle.

It measures 6.2 cm.

Kindest Regards,

Marcos

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:25:47 am by marcos » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:54:40 am »

That is a typical Shangdong bottle, possibly painted by 西园山人 Xiyuanshanren.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 12:07:38 pm »

Just a stunning bottle Marcos. Very nice ....
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

marcos

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 01:15:08 pm »

Hi George, thanks a lot.

Do you have any extra information regarding Xi Yuan Shan Ren?

I read here http://snuffbottlecollector.com/shi_yuan_shan/shi_yuan_shan_1.htm that apparently Xi Yuan Shan Ren was Pu Shin Yu, cousin of Pu Yi. Do you think this theory has any merit?

Also, considering the article below, could it be that Xi Yuan Shan Ren actually means "Man of the West Mountain Garden"?

"Pu Ru (溥儒, 1896-1963), courtesy name Xinyu (心畬), was a native of Beijing, and a member of the Manchu imperial family, born near the end of the Qing Dynasty. He was cousin to the last emperor Pu Yi and was one of the children who presented themselves at the palace as candidates for the future emperor. After the Qing Dynasty was overthrown, he decided to go by his courtesy name. He was a student in Berlin University, studying Astronomy and Biology. After he returned from Europe, he retreated into the Western Mountains, where he spent many years at the Jie Tai Monastery (戒臺寺) to develop his painting skills. He was strongly against Pu Yi's cooperation with Japan.
       Pu Xinyu gave himself a pseudonym Xishan Yishi (西山逸士), meaning "Hermit of Mt. West", which disclosed his lofty inner being. He received students, but the teacher-student relationship was kept in the classical sense. It was a parent-child relationship, in which the father carried the responsibility of the well-being, character-building and spiritual development of the child. Therefore before a student became accepted, Pu Ru carefully examined the student's character and his family background.
       His training was highly disciplinary. He demanded his students to rub their own ink from charcoal inksticks, for such preparation brought the mind to peace, which would assist the painter in connecting himself to the spirit of art and creativity or to the sphere of beauty and grace. In the entire first year of Pu Xinyu's training, the student was not allowed to paint, but to practice calligraphy only. In the entire second year, he was to draw rocks, mountains and branches of trees. In the third year, he was allowed to cover the trees and branches with leafs, and so on. This kind of schooling builds up the total command of the brush as well as humility and strength. Every Saturday morning, his students would gather around him to receive a lesson in Chinese literature, after which their works were presented to the master and new assignments were given. In these Saturday mornings, Master Pu never just talked; he was always doing something else at the same time, either calligraphy, painting, or playing a moon-sitar (a string instrument), many times with his precious white face long-armed monkey on his chest. He was often amused by what he was painting and liked to make fun of the figures which he created. A great master he was, full of love and kindness."

http://www.chinaonlinemuseum.com/painting-pu-xinyu.php
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 02:45:45 pm »

Not me that helped , it was Steven, and much better to see if he or someone else can answer your questions..

Nice example though... !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
marcos

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 03:01:26 pm »

Ops,

Sorry George!
Sorry Steven!
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 06:21:12 pm »

Dear Steven,

The late Robert Kleiner thought these superbly painted '4 Wangs of the 17th C. -style landscapes were by Bi Rongjiu. I have a number (2 or 3). I have not ever heard of XiYuan ShanRen (I thought that it would translate as "Mountain Man of the Western Garden").
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 06:55:50 pm »

Hi Joey,

You are correct on translating Xiyuanshanren( Mountain Man of the western garden).

I don't think those bottles painted by Bi Rongjiu, the painting style is quite differently from Bi Rongjiu's And I noticed this artist like to use only black color, and his tree leaves is always unique like a ball.

I remembered that I have gone through a chinese website recently, and learned a little more about shandong school artist, specially the old masters. I will try to find the link again.

Best!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 07:26:18 pm »

Dear Steven,

Oh. That means I have a few less Bi Rongjiu than I thought. 2, in fact. 
So I have 6 Bi Rongjiu, and 2 by Xiyuanshanren. I assume that is his 'hao' ?
Do we have a proper name for him?
Thank you, and thanks to Marcos -  Your bottle facilitated my learning about a new (to me!) artist from the late 19th/early 20th C. in Shandong. And in effect, I DO collect Shandong bottles.  Grin   Shocked

So I have learned two important pieces of information - about your Jirujushi bottle being actually Early Period, and the Four Wangs of the 17th C. style bottles I have being by 'Xiyuanshanren'.  Wink

Best to all,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 07:46:37 pm »

Now that I come to think of it the unsigned large Amber medicine bottle pair I posted a while back may very well be by the same artist instead of Bi Rongjiu .. A great day for new information ..
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 08:58:18 pm »

Here is a link to my other Xi Yuanshanren warrior bottle. I have a landscape somewhere too. He did use color in landscapes but sparingly.

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,486.msg7083.html#msg7083
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:00:03 pm by Pat » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: