About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:50:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Black Glass Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Glass Snuff Bottle  (Read 1313 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« on: March 15, 2016, 05:05:50 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

What about a solid carved clay model, and then numerous latex molds made from it?  And the glass  then pumped in. One cuts away the latex mold, and voila! No joins, and it looks carved.

Of course, if it really is Jet, George has lucked out! G-D Willing.
Best,
Joey

Dear Charll,
thank you. Let me explain why I did ask so. First point: if George’s bottle is molded, the mold has been made onto a carved bottle. There is no doubt about this, in my opinion, because a carved mold will never produce a bottle with the features seen here. If we look at the pictures shown by George, in particular at the recessed areas of the bottle, we see that those areas has all the features of the carved ones. Imagine the mold of that bottle, i.e. the negative version of what we see in the pictures. Imagine in your mind the raised areas of the mold, corresponding to the recessed areas of the bottle: should looks like that? It is impossible. A raised area will never show those shapes, clearly related to a deep carving, and not to a raised protrusion. So, following my thoughts, if the bottle has been made by mold, the mold in turn has been made onto a bottle. But then look at the deep carvings of the bottle, and the shape. I believe that it is not possible to made such a mold in less than four parts, besides that of the base. If not, it is not possible to remove the mold after the use, unless destroying it. That means that after molding, there would be many tracks of the mold joints that needs to be smoothed. Many tracks on a complicated carving. Hmmm… a quite complicate job. Not impossible, though.
All in all, there is another possibility. That the seller didn’t know about jet and he thought that bottle was glass while indeed it is jet. If so, not a bad deal, hein George?
I have not seen a single bubble on the surface of the bottle.
Kind regards
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: