About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 03:42:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Qiu shi(秋石)/liu xin kai

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Qiu shi(秋石)/liu xin kai  (Read 790 times)
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« on: November 17, 2011, 11:16:46 am »

Anybody know this artist, I think that Qiu shi should be his pen name, from Bill's site,  his real name is Liu, Xin Kai.

* $(KGrHqF,!i8E6PVs()KhBOv+GGkD8w~~60_12.jpg (32.32 KB, 319x402 - viewed 27 times.)

* $(KGrHqYOKjgE6SbG+imiBOv+G2gLVw~~60_1.jpg (3.24 KB, 96x159 - viewed 20 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »

I have several of his/her bottles in my collection.  Was very popular among the Singapore collectors group a few years back.  Output seems to have decreased. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 07:21:26 pm »

Here is a previous topic between Pat and Peter about liu xin kai/ Qui shi [/url]
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 07:31:17 pm »

Just for fun..

Here is a bottle that is presently on Trocadero ..

Qiu Shi (Guanyu Art Studio) *His original name is Liu Xing-Kai. He was born in 1968 in Hebei Province. He began work under Master Wang Guan-Yu in 1987. Though young, his skills offer much promise for a brilliant future. His talents lie in reproducing Song Dynasty and other traditional landscapes and figures.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:16:24 pm »

Thanks Pat & George for  your info. what do you think the price range for that bottle? $300-$400 sounds reasonable?
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:48:39 pm »

Yes I think so.  Even unknown/obscure recent IP painters in agate fetch $150-$250 these days
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Steven

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 02:40:13 am »

Hmm, kind of the debating.... the seller asked for $499, not sure if it is overcharged?
- Peter,any comments on this one, does it worth $500.00 ,I know nothing about the modern bottle Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 02:51:45 am »

During a phone conversation some time ago with Peter, we both commented in agreement about IP bottles made of Agate.

Just my humble opinion, but the lack of being able to see any kind of detail, not to mention having to backlight these just to get a glimpse of the painting.. These are not the kind of IP I would spend that kind of money on.

The agate obscures any way to varify if the artist put any part of his/her true talents and heart into painting it.

I dunno.... Really don't mean to rain on your parade, and sound so negative, but a signature alone would not be enough to make an agate bottle appealing to me.
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 05:27:53 am »

Agreed, but lets not forget the incredible carvings and inclusions that some agate has.  I have only 2-3 of these also as examples, and would not spend my IP budget on them, generally speaking.  However, some I have seen are just astonishing, even if the painting itself sort of becomes secondary. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 11:02:55 am »

Steven, et al,
   I thought Qiu Shi's real name was Zheng Shikui?
I have 7 bottles by him (?),  a set of five signed Qiu Shi (The Ten Favourite Hounds of the Qianlong Emperor"), C-20 in "Worlds", and two signed Zheng Shikui (C-21, a variation on the previous set, with two hounds on each side;  and A-20, The Qingming Festival in Kaifeng).
 Is someone able to clear this up for me, please?
Thank you, Shabbat Shalom, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Steven

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 04:03:52 pm »

Hi Joey,

You might wrong about the "Qiu shi", When I looked over and over on two hounds bottle signed by " Qiu shi " and " shikui" I don't think that they are from the same artist, the way the artists treat grass and trees are quite different, I personally like the one signed by  "shikui" much more than the one signed "qiushi", also shikai's calligraphy is more mature than " Qiu shi".

http://snuffbottlecollector.com/zheng_shikui/zheng_shikui_000.htm

I think Peter is right about the "qiushi", his real name should be "Liu xingkai" , wang guangyu's student, good at painting gold fish and hounds, but IMO his painting and calligraphy is not as good as Shikui's .

But the one I posted is not Liu xingkai's bottle even it signed " xiu shi", the calligraphy is not there to be a real Liu xingkai's work, even the gold fish is not bad painted.

-Joey, did you buy all seven them from the Shikui himself or from a dealer?

Steven
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:07:21 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 04:59:24 pm »

Steven,
   You are right! When I catalogued them originally, I put them down as two different artists. Then someone told me that they were the same artist. I accepted it without checking further. I'll now put the set of 5 by Qiushi as Liu Xinkai, and the two as Zheng Shikui.
   Sorry, I forgot to answer your question as to provenance. I bought the two Zheng Shikui and the set of five Qiushi all from YF Yang, 26.Oct.1996, at the Hong Kong part of the Beijing/Hong Kong convention that year.
Thank you. Joey
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:41:56 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: