About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:58:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

IPB Artists can blossom in late life

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: IPB Artists can blossom in late life  (Read 3372 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 09:03:21 am »

Hi

I think the spirits  of  the   M-IPB  world  must be  having a  party   up there at the  great  Hengshui   Studio in the   sky

Having  posted   what I did  below,  saying that    what purported  to be   " Yi  Ding  一 丁" was in fact  signed  "  Xiao Ding  "  (Chinese character image Little  Ding ) as far as  I could  see from the   ebay   website  pic ,   to day  I met a   REAL   Xiao  Ding (   = Little  Ding)  (Chinese character image Little  Ding)!

NO JOKE !

I had  heard that this months's artist-of-the-month  at CAC  Star House was a pupil of Fu Guoshun called Ding Xing Biao (Chinese character image Ding Xing Biao )   whose  name  appeared  no-where  at all  on my  DB . His  pen name  is   Bai Shi  Chinese characters image Bai Shi , which  also  is no-where  in my   DB   ( so much  for  my  DB ! )

I went to  meet  him   today  . He's   a youngish-looking and  very handsome, well-spoken  guy, born  1972,  so  39  years  old.  Amazing that  his name  has  never come  up  before  in any books  or journals that  I have seen.   He  had brought a lot  of   well-painted  bottles  in many different   styles which are  not my   collecting themes, and many bottles   in  natural   crystal   with inclusions , which of  course  immediately  puts the  price up  by  min.  US$ 1K , because that what these   type  of     raw  bottles  cost to buy.  I had almost  given up   seeing any bottle  I   could be interested  in when  I spotted  a   really  lovely  Chinese  landscape  in   just  simple   black/ white   with a trace  of  red. Beautiful !  And   the longer  I looked   at it  the more  I admired  it .   Fortunately  it  was  in man-made   crystal   so the  price   was   quite OK  ( less than US$ 1K) , in fact  very  cheap considering the   quality of the   painting    and  that    Ding Xingbiao  would only   get  a proportion of what I paid   after  CAC's  commission.

When   I got home  I looked in even more  detail, and there  on  one side - to my  astonishment  - it  was signed  "Xiao Ding'   !  The other side  was signed  Bai  Shi. 

So  here  is  the  REAL   Xiao  Ding, but  certainly  not the  Xiao Ding  on  ebay .  Ding  Xingbiao's work  in a  totally different  league  - and price  category  ( I am  talking  US$   thousands   for his prime  bottles)

Cheers   Peter
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 12:11:46 pm by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: