About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 16, 2024, 11:57:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

IPB Artists can blossom in late life

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: IPB Artists can blossom in late life  (Read 3404 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: June 30, 2011, 05:01:09 am »

Hi Pat,

Nei Lei  is  an intruiging artist.  I have   3  categories  of  bottles    painted  by  him  :  all    so totally   different   that  I have  difficulty  to believe  they are  all by the  same artist.

1.  Persian cats  (  + mouse)  -   superb   painting

2. A  series  of    so-so   landscapes, all very  similar  in style, that  he ( ? )  painted  about  2  years  ago   in one   session , and most  of  which I bought  up at the   time 

3.  2  x   superb  calligraphy   bottles 

I bought all the   bottles  at Ms  Wang's  shop  in SH  .

I met  Nei Lei  last time  I was  in Hengshui  in  4.2010    when I went to his  shop .  There  were a lot of bottles  on his  shelves,   including  some  by other  medium-level  HS  artists    complete   with  a picture  of the  artist and  his   background   bio-data.  Most of them  were  very  uninteresting for me  except a  couple  of  landscapes  which I  photographed  in detail .  One  was  a    poor  knock-off of   another   landscape  bottle  I  have  by another  artist.  And the   other    was  a    direct  ( but  bad)   knock -off of   Sun Honglin's  unique   style / theme  , and  to my  shock, when I  just  retrieved the   pic,  I found it  was signed   " Rui Zhi"  !  I had  to  do  a   double-take  on it  to make  sure  my eyes  were not   playing tricks.   But the   signature  is   very  VERY  clearly  Rui  Zhi  . See  pics  attached

Shocked

So what  do we  make  of all this ?    Not  sure. 

Is  Nei Lei   some  sort  of  bottle  dealer / middle-man  who    takes  in  un-signed   stuff,  signs  Rui Zhi  and  then  passes  the bottles  on to the  open  market ?   Meanwhile  he  does  his  own  calligraphy  bottles  under  the  name  Yi Ding  (and /or   Rui Zhi) ?    When I visited  him in  4.2010  he  showed  me  what he  said  was his last  remaining   calligraphy bottle   which  was  " not  for  sale"  . But  then  I later   in 2010  bought    my   two     "1,000  character "  calligraphy  bottles  by him  , signed  Yi Ding,  in  SH   at Ms  Wang's  shop   for  about  US$800   each .  If   they  were  in fact  not  by  Nei Lei, they  were certainly painted  by  someone  with  huge  skill. 

So I am really puzzled

Hope  I attached the   correct  pics to this   email

Cheers    Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: