About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 01:31:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

New to the forum - would like to share some bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the forum - would like to share some bottles  (Read 1367 times)
marcos

« on: March 10, 2016, 10:00:30 am »

Dear All,

Would like to say hello and share a bottle with a poem.

I am a collector/dealer of Asian art, mainly chinese. I became fascinated with snuff bottles after reading Perryīs "Adventures & Studies of a collector" and Hugh Moss "The Art of the Chinese Snuff Bottle."

I am particularly interested in inside-painted snuff bottles as I am (trying) to learn Mandarin  and it is fun trying to read artistīs names and dates.

The poem in the attached bottle I believe translates as:

"Falling the spring rain,
never stops a moment,
Damaging the steps,
moss grow green.
Recalling our rainy night pillowtalk when we are children,
Now it never comes again as we are old men."

I am not sure who is the artist (Bai Chuan?)

Regards,

Marcos

* DSC01593.JPG (125.82 KB, 480x640 - viewed 62 times.)

* DSC01592.JPG (123.67 KB, 480x640 - viewed 69 times.)

* DSC01595.JPG (115.82 KB, 640x480 - viewed 61 times.)

* DSC01596.JPG (117.02 KB, 640x480 - viewed 56 times.)

* DSC01597.JPG (108.46 KB, 640x480 - viewed 57 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 01:34:02 pm »

Dear Marcos,
welcome in this Forum.
I am not expert on inside painted bottles nor of the type of bottles that you have shown here, but I am wondering what it has to do an artist of inside painted bottles with the carving of an ivory bottle, which I think is quite recent. I may be wrong about the age of the bottle, but really can't see the connection. Am I missing something?
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 03:23:58 pm »

Dear Fiveroosters, I don't think there was supposed to  be a connection between inside painted bottles which Marcos says he likes  and the his translation of the poem on the ivory bottle! Thank you Marcos for the translation. Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 03:47:34 pm »

Dear Jason,
my English is not so good but I think that what Marcos said is quite clear: "I am not sure who is the artist (Bai Chuan?)". He is asking if his bottle, which is carved, is a Bai Chuan work, who is a painter of IP bottles. I repeat that I am not an expert in both fields, but I would be very surprised if his supposition is true. 
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 07:09:20 pm »

It can be a lot of fun trying to translate things like the bottle on your ivory bottle.. It is nice to have that information with the bottle.  It is a pretty new bottle..

Many of us collect inside painted here.. look forward to sharing with you here..

Thanks for sharing this bottle !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
marcos

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 10:53:51 am »

Hi Giovanni,

As Jason said, I just wanted to share the poem. I am sorry to hear it is a new bottle.

I just shared an inside painted bottle in the proper place:

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,2950.0.html

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Marcos
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 04:38:38 pm »

Dear Marcos,
be patient, I am a bit stubborn. You have shared the poem, that’s ok, I have seen that. But at the end you said “I am not sure who is the artist (Bai Chuan?)”. To whom was you referring? To the carver I think, or to whom else if not? So, you was thinking that the carver could be an artist of inside painted bottles, which I believe (but I stand to be corrected) that it is highly improbable. So my comment was just to make you aware that your supposition was not possible. Once again, welcome here.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 06:38:47 am »

Dear Giovanni,

Could it be that Marcos meant "who is the poet", when he says "artist"?

Regards,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 11:37:00 am »

Dear Marcos,

A warm welcome from me as well. I live in Jerusalem, Israel, but have a summer home in County Wexford, Ireland. From 1970 till 1992, I collected all materials. Since then (the last 24 years), I have focussed on both antique and modern IPSBs, B & Ws, and Jades.
I'm a native English speaker, but must admit that I understood what you wrote in the same way as did Giovanni.
As well, we tend to share a bit more info in our introductions:
a general location; how long you've collected; how many bottles you have; etc.
Also, are you a member of the ICSBS? About a dozen Forum members are members.

Best Wishes,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 09:02:20 pm »

Dear Marcos,

Thank you for doing the introduction where we can know you better. A warm welcome from me too.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

marcos

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 10:05:36 am »

Dear Giovanni,

I am sorry I did not make myself clear.

The short poem next to seal is written in chinese cursive script which is hard even for native speakers.

Thus, the reason I wrote  "I am not sure who is the artist" is because I was not sure I read the script next to the seal correctly. It appeared to me it read Bai Shuan (百川).

I donīt know if this Bai Shuan guy is the carver or the poemīs author. Neither I think it has any connections to Wang Bai Shuan.

In any case, I had the poem on the other side of the bottle translated by an expert. It should read:

万甲尽藏雨,
浑身通云绕.

"Thousands of scales, raindrops ensconced,
Head to tail, cloud embraced."

The name next to the poem is Baichuan Zhou and the seal is Guchuan.

Again, I am just sharing the poem and the bottle. I really donīt know who this guy is.
Report Spam   Logged
marcos

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 10:25:44 am »

Hi Joey!

I lived in Israel in my teenagers years and early twenties. I now live in Sao Paulo, Brazil but I plan to return to Israel.

I am pretty new to snuff bottles.

I am not a member yet of the ICSBS. I will visit the website to understand the membership process.

Thanks for the welcome.

Regards,

Marcos
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 10:47:10 am »

Hello Marcos,
the equipment of production and transport of the big part of the electricity feeding Sao Paulo has been tested by me. I did work in the hydroelectrical power plant of Jupiā, on Paranā river, in the substations of Bauru and that of Cabreuva, near Jundiaė. I lived there four years, plus one year in the Rio Grande do Sul, from where is my wife. I do speak Portuguese.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 05:10:57 pm »

Dear Marcos,

I visited Sao Paulo 33 years ago! At the time, one of the greatest snuff bottle collections in the world, the justly famous J & J collection, was located in Chacara Flora in my friends' beautiful home. I came to visit my friends and view their collection for 5 days. Except for the great visit with my friends, a one-day trip to Iguazu Falls, and the wonderful meats at the churrascarias, the bottles were the high point of my visit.  Wink Grin Roll Eyes

A happy Purim in 10 days!
Best,
Joey

Hi Joey!

I lived in Israel in my teenagers years and early twenties. I now live in Sao Paulo, Brazil but I plan to return to Israel.

I am pretty new to snuff bottles.

I am not a member yet of the ICSBS. I will visit the website to understand the membership process.

Thanks for the welcome.

Regards,

Marcos
Report Spam   Logged

marcos

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 10:47:38 pm »

Dear Joey,

Happy Purim!

Anytime you around here I will be happy to take you around the churrascarias.

Dear Giovanni,

Nice to know you speak portuguese. Rio Grande do Sul is a great place, especially the Serra Gaucha where all the wine is produced.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 08:53:48 am »

Dear Marcos,

It's a date, next time I am in Brasil! There are Brasileiro - style churrascarias in Israel, but not a patch on the real thing. Only thing I couldn't eat in Brasil besides pork, was the fatty meat of the hump of the Brahma bull. It was disgusting to me. My friends' close friend, the owner of one in Sao Paulo, 10 min. drive from Chacara Flora, reckoned I'd eaten just over 1 kg of meat at the one sitting! Today, I'd not be able to. Not more than 300 or so grams. Roll Eyes Cheesy
Obrigado,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: