About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 09:50:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Two bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two bottles  (Read 836 times)
wgeoff
Private Boards

« on: March 06, 2016, 06:38:25 am »

These two bottles went at auction (Eclectic) recently for US$10,000. Is it realistic?

The auction detail was

Realized Price: $10,000
Estimated Price: $500 - $700
Description: Two Chinese painted snuff bottles comprising a rock crystal interior painted bottle and an incised and painted porcelain bottle, both signed. 2 1/2" high, 2" wide to 2 7/8" high, 1 3/4" wide. Condition: rock crystal with chips to top, other with glue residue to lid, stand affixed to base.

I was interested but not at that price.
Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 06:44:20 am »

Geoff

The right side bottle looks like a genuine Zhou Le Yuan to me just based on the pics provided but for an unknown auction house the realized prices seem very high...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 06:49:05 am »

Thanks Pat.

I guessed the right hand bottle may be genuine (but no provenance and clearly from the estimated prices the Auction House either didn't have much idea or didn't believe it was genuine).
But what about the left-hand bottle? It looks good - is it a well-known artist?

Geoff
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:58:33 am by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:03:00 am »

I can't decipher the other script
 Sorry !
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 07:08:03 am »

Dear Geoff,

I have it on great authority that the Zhou Leyuan is genuine and superb, and if it had been offered to me by a serious dealer,  I'd have had no qualms about paying US$15,000 or even more. The other one is cute and would make a nice gift to someone who likes horses.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 08:25:12 am »

Dear Geoff,

I've never come across Eclectic(?) Auction House before. The lot details and price realized tell me three things:
   1. the auction house clearly had no clue what they were selling
   2. there are a lot of serious collectors browsing the internet for even the most obscure sales
   3. the seller had the gods looking over him/her - the lot could so easily have sold for its original estimate, and the seller would have lost out big time

Tom
PS: I wonder how the auctioneer explained the price differential to the seller...   Embarrassed  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:27:33 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 09:24:13 am »

Dear Tom,

In my experience, people rarely complain when they get MORE than they thought they'd get.  Roll Eyes Grin
Best,
Joey

Dear Geoff,

I've never come across Eclectic(?) Auction House before. The lot details and price realized tell me three things:
   1. the auction house clearly had no clue what they were selling
   2. there are a lot of serious collectors browsing the internet for even the most obscure sales
   3. the seller had the gods looking over him/her - the lot could so easily have sold for its original estimate, and the seller would have lost out big time

Tom
PS: I wonder how the auctioneer explained the price differential to the seller...   Embarrassed  
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 11:03:23 am »

It is indeed a beautiful bottle, but sorry guys... No way at that price ..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 04:21:05 pm »

Here is the Auction and the Lot Number is 259.

http://www.invaluable.com/catalog/searchLots.cfm?scp=c&catalogRef=6P3SZESFUZ&row=251

It kind of stands out for the amount realised.

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 02:00:55 pm »

Dear Geoff

The auction was held by Woodbury CT auction that has been holding brick & mortar auctions for decades.  I think they are fairly recent to online.  I was at an auction there around 25 years ago where a Japanese outdoor aluminum sculpture was offered for $300-500.00 but sold for $25,000 plus buyer's premium after a bidding war between a local retired lawyer and a California dealer on the phone.  That auction has been advertising in several antique newspapers like the Arts & Antiques Weekly.  By the way the lawyer later sold it through Sotheby's and it brought $90,000 just a few months later.

Small auctions like to create interest in their goods by putting the lowest estimate the seller will allow and lately some of the major auction houses are doing likewise.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 02:03:26 pm by Tom B. » Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: