About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 03:28:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Mongolia Bottles And Traditional Snuff Use

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mongolia Bottles And Traditional Snuff Use  (Read 36937 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 09:34:10 am »

Tom,
  You'll have to go to Oxford, Bath, Warminster or Salisbury. I have bought snuff in each place in the last year.
Would you like me to send you a tin of snuff? I have plenty to spare, and if you are just using it for display purposes, I can send you the stuff that is less fresh (read stale Cheesy)
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 10:35:58 am »

Joey,

Thanks for the offer, but I will be in London again in 3 weeks time (while you guys are at the convention), so will have another hunt around. There is one last shop I can think of in Mayfair that must surely still be there, i.e. it's not in a neighbourhood that condones tacky mobile phone shops, and still has some exclusivity to it.

I will let you know if that fails.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 11:08:33 am »

Tom,
   No problem, try Tobacconists, London Directory. It will give you all the shops in London.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2012, 08:44:12 am »

I found the article last night. It is in the Winter 2007 issue. I look forward to re-reading it with hindsight this week.

Joey,

I finally found some time to relax and read your article on modern inside painted snuff bottles. I had marked it for reading back in early 2008, then put the magazine aside, where it stayed until I re-opened it last week! Thanks so much for pointing it out to me. I have never been particularly drawn to IP bottles, but having read quite a lot in the forum and now seeing your article, where you breathe life into the individual artists, I can see the immense attraction.

Tom
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:30:51 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2012, 10:00:54 am »

Tom,
   The big question is really if one loves only the utility and choice of materials of bottles made for use as 'snuff bottles'; or if one loves Chinese painting, and sees inside-painted Chinese snuff bottles as another, and much more approachable, medium for the Chinese painting; or both. 
   I love both. That is my personal choice.
   I've a very good friend who has NEVER liked inside painted bottles (he refuses to even call them 'snuff bottles' since most have never been near snuff!), but is a major collector of Chinese snuff bottles since 1969, and has close to 2,000 in his collection in NYC. That is his choice, and it is as valid as my choice.
   You just have to make your choice; or not. You could collect everything but IPCSBs, but, every once in a while, when one catches your fancy, and you want it because it speaks to you, get it.
   The great thing about living in a democratic regime, is that, everything that is not forbidden, is allowed. 
In dictatorial regimes, everything that is not allowed, is forbidden.
   Thank G-D, we live under democratic regimes...
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2012, 10:41:00 am »

You just have to make your choice; or not. You could collect everything but IPCSBs, but, every once in a while, when one catches your fancy, and you want it because it speaks to you, get it.

Joey,

I fit into the slot quoted. I fall in line with your NYC friend 98% of the time, but I'm not a purist - I do have an eclectic streak that breaks out from time to time. But in purely practical terms, I find I have enough on my plate without getting sucked into the IP vortex.

By the way, one of the artists you feature in your article - Li Cuiling - has a style that is very similar to an unsigned bottle I have. I will post it tomorrow, and see if anyone can ID the artist. It cannot be by her, unless she was already doing IP bottles at 16 years of age.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: