About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:32:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Sharing a few inside-painted bottles

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharing a few inside-painted bottles  (Read 1289 times)
Lamlam

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 12:41:13 am »

Could this be a Shangdong School bottle?  Some of the Shangdong bottles in the 60's seem to have similar shaped bottles with raised retangular panels on the sides? 

Steven, what is your view on its age?  around the 60's?  But I don't think an artist would dare to paint something related to religion around the time of Cultural Revolution, right?  Could the bottle be ealier than that?

Cheers,

Curt

Report Spam   Logged

Lamlam

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 12:47:04 am »

BTW, it is a rather big bottle, at 3 inches without the stopper.
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 11:16:24 am »

Curt,

I have no facts on which to base my comments other then I have a similar shaped plain dark amber glass bottle that I suspect would date to the second half of the 19th century.  When I first saw this bottle my intuition said "older bottle newer painting".   It does look like a Shandong 1960's style of painting to me as well.  As we are all noting it is an unusual theme which to me would place it in a later period of the 1960's or sometime after.   I really like this particular bottle.

Charll
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:19:53 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 11:34:25 am »

Never seen a painting like this in an IP ..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 11:44:53 am »

Dear Curt,

I've compared the photos of the unsigned bottle with the continuous design of fish swimming to my Ye Zhongsan the Elder bottles with the same subject, and they also compare well with your bottle, as far as I can tell over the screen.

I have  one in tourmalinated quartz (C-25 in "Worlds", signed and dated 1916), and another,  in rutilated quartz,  signed and dated 1922. I have a third in agate, dated 1910.

As far as I can tell, it could be Ye Zhongsan the Elder, or it could be Meng Zishou.  It does not look like Zhou Leyuan's work.

Re.the bottle with 2 Biblical or New Testament scenes; I would say 1950s -1960s for dating; and say possibly Shandong, and, if post-1960, probably by Li Kechang, since he is the only IPSB artist I know who is a Christian, and I also know that he was persecuted for his Christian faith during the Cultural Revolution.

According to Agatha Aronson (z"l), he inscribed his own epitaph on the stele or 'bei' being read by the two horsemen on my Li Kechang bottle (#81, and magnified 300% on my Hebrew cover of the 1987 Israel Museum catalogue), which he painted in 1979.

Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 12:14:14 pm »

After reading all the comments after all and examing the bottle once again.

I agree with other's comments, the painting donkey on and bottle, and the color shade is being used really much like Li kechang's style, I think it should be Li kechang bottle. And Joey's comments about Li being a christian enhanced the assumption. And If its Li's work, it should be his early example, his later one looks differently.60s should be its.

Anyway, A little nice treasure to be kept.

Well done!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Lamlam

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 03:20:28 am »

Thank you everyone for posting their insightful comments. 

So for the fish bottle, it is by either Ye or Meng.  Prompted by the comments here, I tried to look at similar themed bottle by Ye and Meng illustrated in different books (Joey, I also noted your fish bottle #95 by Meng in your Isreal Museum catalog) and I tend to think that it was by Meng but it could well be by Ye.

For the other bottle, it is a surprise that it could possibly be attributed to Li Kechang.  Your guys are amazing!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: